Where did Ma and Pa go in 1881?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did Ma and Pa go in 1881?

I'm trying to tidy up my Carruthers family who lived in Barrow-in-Furness.

In 1871 (RG10/4244/24/42) George (born Dumfries) and Mary (born Carlisle)Carruthers are living in Dalton, Barrow with most of their children. George was a local newspaper editor and a swift Google found him fomenting in the 1860's about the threat from Fenians.

In 1881 (RG11/4286/27/47) the children are all living together at 17 Church Street Barrow, with son Thomas as head of family.

By 1891 (RG12/3488/85/34), son George Murray Carruthers, a journalist who by 1901 had himself become a newspaper editor, is with his new wife Sarah and also 3 of his siblings at 9 Roose Road Barrow.

By 1881, George and Mary Carruthers were still under 50 and he should still be editing his paper, so they should still be around somewhere. I've tried all the searching tricks I could think of, including ploughing through George + Mary with no surname.

Any bright ideas please.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Maybe?
    Name:George Carruthers Age 47 [birthyr abt 1832]
    1879 Mar Preston 8e Page:519
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell, I think that's him sorted!

I can't see a marriage or a death for Mary. And she's not with any of her children in 1881 or 1891.

Comment

Burial 5 Mar 1879 : George CARRUTHERS age 47
        Barrow in Furness, Borough Cemetery

Burial 13 Jan 1875 : Mary Giles CARRUTHERS age 43
        Barrow in Furness, Borough Cemetery

Source NBI
        Elaine

Comment

From the NBI

Is this them?

George CARRUTHERS age 47 buried 5 Mar 1879 in Barrow in Furness, Borough Cemetery

Mary Giles CARRUTHERS age 43 buried 13 Jan 1875 in Barrow in Furness, Borough Cemetery

Comment

Ooh I'm too slow for Elaine :o

Comment

Mary Giles Carruthers in Ulverston 1875 Mar qtr 8e 617

age 43

Comment

UJ

There are some more Carruthers in that cemetery. I'll pm them to you.

Comment

You are all wonderful. Thank you so much. There must have been something nasty going around Barrow in the late 19th. century. Some of their children died in their 40s as well.

Comment

As Barrow was a town which grew from roughly 500 people in the 1840s to over 50,000 by the turn of the century, there was probably a lot nasty going around then! One of my rellies died of typhoid in about 1878, aged 14.
                    There were many 2 up-2 down houses with 2 households of parents and numerous kids in them - some of my ancestors lived in them, and the majority of these houses are still standing.
                    Church Street and Roose Road are actually better than most, though. I'm trying to think if those houses are still standing.
                    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Helen - by 1901 "my" George, whom you helped me find out about several months ago, was living at Sea View, Barrow. As a newspaper editor he must have been doing quite nicely.

Margaret has found me two more likely children for George jnr., who were born and died between 1891 and 1901.

Off to watch the travels of Stephen Fry. Back shortly.

Comment

UJ,

It you would like me to, I could have a look in our RO to see if I could find anything more about him. If he was involved in the local newspaper, there would probably have been an item about him in it.

'Sea View' - was that Foundry St?

Our cemetery records are very good. You can get a burial number from a register at the Ro, and if you take that to the cemetery office, they can tell you who else was in that particular grave.
                        One of these days, I'll find out where people were buried before the Borough Cem open!

For the record - Dalton is the 'ancient capital of Furness' and a historic market town. Barrow was a very small hamlet by the sea a few miles away, but in Dalton's parish. Then iron was discovered and Barrow took off, as it was ideal for a sheltered harbour. Ulverston, being a bigger historic market town that Dalton, was the registration district until Barrow achieved borough status in 1876.

In 1871 the Carruthers family is living in Storey Square. These were definitely the top houses in Barrow at that time, for what we would probably today call upper-working class.

I'm going now - back tomorrow.
                        Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 02-11-08, 21:34.
                        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Helen - Sea View seems to be in Abbey Road. It looks as if some houses have names, and the rest are just Abbey Road.

If you can find out some more that would be good. It is a fairly remote bit of my tree, but Quite Interesting.

The burials that Margaret has given me will help to fill in some more detail.

Comment

Glad I could perhaps have been of some help UJ

Comment

Working...
                            X