Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann/Annie Norman c1860 Ireland

Haven't much of a clue about Irish records so here goes

Her granddaughter now says that she might have come from Dungannon in N.Ireland -

though how good this info is is debatable seeing that her son reckoned he came from Salford when born in Burnley and was orphaned as a 14 year old and not a toddler or 9 year old.

Now if she married between 1891 - 1901 in Dungannon? where can I find out preferably online.

Also how do I find any birth or census records for her? Couldn't see anything on the LDS.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Is Norman her maiden or married name? Who did she marry? When do you have her living in England and where?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry LN

Annie Norman has been a bone of contention for many a year as many on the forum can vouch for.

She married James Andrew(s) somewhere between 1891 (he's single and living with widowed father in 1891 in Chadderton, Lancs - and is married? to Ann(ie) Norman age 42 in 1901 census in Burnley with 5 week old son. James Norman Andrews. Baby's birth certificate gives mothers maiden name as Norman. No other previous surnames given. Seems rather old to have a first child but perhaps may have been in service.

Can't find Annie in any other english census and she dies in Salford in 1915 age 65!!!! (reckon should be 56).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I can't see a marriage. It's possible Anne (as she appears 1901) didn't marry James, but they pretended to be married. Have you been able to locate Ann/e/ie on a previous census?

Without the marriage cert which would give Ann's father's name and occupation, it will be hard to go back further. I suppose its possible that she and James went to Dungannon (or elsewhere in Ireland) to be married, but not sure where you would find this online.
        Last edited by Little Nell; 02-11-08, 16:15.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi,

There is very little online for NI records, you could try Emerald Ancestors - Northern Ireland Genealogy & Ulster Ancestry or Ulster Historical Foundation - Irish Genealogy Research Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Down, Belfast: Home I have used a lookup service at home page | familyulster.com | providing professional genealogy research who charge £2 per look up but that only covers from 1864 when civil registration started over there. The site also does research so if you are desperate you could think about using that.
          I think Dungannon is in Co Tyrone so you might try looking for a local family history society to help.
          Margaret

Comment

Many of the records on Emerald Ancestors can also be viewed free elsewhere. For instance, all the Down births I've found there are also on the IGI and Raymond's County Down Website, and the death records I've found on there all come from the PRONI Will Calendars: Introduction | Public Record Office of Northern Ireland So it is worth checking out the IGI and PRONI first.
            However, there are some marriages on Emerald Ancestors that don't seem to appear on the free sites. I've just checked for Norman records. There are 17 marriages and 3 deaths, but none of them are in Tyrone. The only Anne Norman marriage on Emerald Ancestors is in 1868 in Armagh.

The Irish World Heritage Centre (pay-per-view BMDs for Tyrone) only has 1 Norman record - a baptism of a Charles Norman born in 1860.

There are also some useful Tyrone links in the FTF Wiki: Tyrone - Family Tree Forum
            Last edited by Cloggie; 02-11-08, 17:30.
            Sarah

Comment

Thanks everyone

I'm still a bit sceptical of the Dungannon origin but its the only mention we've had of where she might perhaps have come from. I did look on the IGI without success.

I will try the other links and see what I can come up with.

Hoping desperately that the 1911 census might yield further info - perhaps a sibling of the mother (no siblings for baby James though)

Comment

Working...
              X