Causes Of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Causes Of Death

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I am always intrigued at some of the obscure causes of deaths that I have found on death certs and I am always fascinated to find out exactly what they are...........this is a useful site

Causes of Death in the Late 19th Century
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

maybe you could check local newspapers for inquest details? Or an archive in that area?

I have recently had a good one *Visitation of God* and an 18thC parish register, for a one year old child *Worm Fever*.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-06-09, 10:46. Reason: removal of banned members name

Comment

It was not necessary for a death to be certificated until the 1860s (Date?) and before then you just went and reported a death, if you felt like it, and hazarded a guess at the cause.

Obviously, this system was wide open to all kinds of abuse, including murder, but the system was not tightened up until the Insurance companies and Burial Clubs made such a fuss that they could no longer be ignored!

Until then, people were literally getting away with murder, and fraud was rife - claiming someone was dead when they weren't, and often when they had never been alive in the first place!

OC

Comment

One that always tickles my funnybone is "Died of teeth"

At least it sounds funny today until you consider how many of us are being slowly poisoned by the effusion from untreated bad teeth. If you don't have them removed or at least filled where else can the poison go?
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I came across death certificates in a deed packet some years ago for a family in Bury, Lancashire.

All 12 children died in the family from Scarletina (Scarlet Fever) over a short period and also the man's wife. All the certificates gave Scarletina as cause of death.

The father then died and the cause of death was stated as "Broken Heart".

I feel sad whenever i think about it.

Comment

perhaps following on from this should be a thread for the most obscure or unusual cause of death???............anybody any offers
            My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Drinking prussic acid! one of mine committed suicide that way.
              Margaret

Comment

Who had the one who suffocated in a wagon of feathers?????????????

Or am I going mad?????

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                  Who had the one who suffocated in a wagon of feathers?????????????

Or am I going mad?????
                  What happened? were they tickled to death

Comment

Not sure, Margaret...............if I remember correctly it was OC or HeatherPT who wrote about it.

I remember having a great laugh at the time.......lol

Comment

i have an aunt who died in 1904 age 6, she was 'smothered by oats'. can only assume she fell in a silo, or she was carrying a bag of oats and was crushed.

Comment

I've one says Hung in accordance to the law.
                        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Working...
                        X