Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Hetty BENNETT after 1871?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Hetty BENNETT after 1871?

This is what I know of her

Born 1855 in Lanivet, Cornwall, daughter of William and Mary Ann BENNETT (nee SALMON). She was christened in the village church 22nd July 1855.

In 1861, the family have moved to Bodmin - RG9; Piece: 1536; Folio: 90; Page: 33, and Hetty is there with parents and siblngs, William L, John S and Althea T living in Lower Bore Street.

In 1871, the family are still in Bodmin, but father William is now serving in the local Militia - RG10; Piece: 2249; Folio: 53; Page: 37. There are no further siblings born to the couple, and Hetty is there along with her siblings from 1861.

By 1881, there have been major changes within the family. Hetty's mother Mary Ann died in 1871, and father William remarried to Hannah TRENOUTH in Liskeard, Cornwall in 1872. In 1881, he is with his new family living in Liskeard - RG11; Piece: 2285; Folio: 149; Page: 10

Brother John has joined the RMLI, and is serving in East Stonehouse, Devon - RG11; Piece: 2203; Folio: 20; Page: 34. He is there with wife Catherine, and first born daughter Mabel.

Brother William has joined the Royal Artillery, and is a driver stationed at Trowbridge - RG11; Piece: 2048; Folio: 91; Page: 15

Sister Althea has married to James BROWN in Bodmin 1879, and has a daughter Alice Althea Mabel born in 1880 in Devonport, Plymouth. (I can't locate these in 1881, so there's another challenge if anybody wants it )

Where is Hetty? I did get a bit excited when I found a Bodmin marriage of Hetty BENNETT to William Henry HUNT in 1888, but when I found the couple in 1901, this is a different Hetty born in Luxulyan, Cornwall, and also 10 years younger than the Hetty I'm searching for.

I can't see an obvious death for her, so I'm open to any other suggestions/possible census sitings after 1871.

Here's hoping
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

If Hetty is a diminutive of Henrietta, could she have lengthened her name? There's a Henrietta Ann Symons with the correct date & place of birth here
    Class: RG12; Piece: 1706; Folio 103; Page 12

Comment

Hi Jill,

Good thought, but I looked for a marriage of William to Harriet Ann, and there is one in St Thomas 5b 199 1890, Sept quarter to Harriet Ann RETALLICK.

Just checked out my Lanivet baptisms, and there is a baptism there for the above name on 25th Dec 1850.

I'm quite happy therefore that it is not Hetty, but thanks for having a look
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

Hi Pauline

There is a Mary Harriett Philp on 1891 census born in Lanivet around 1852:

Class: RG12; Piece: 1814; Folio 81; Page 2

I can't find a suitable marriage for her to a Philps though. Maybe worth a look at?

Joanie

Comment

Hi Pauline,
          I found this marriage:

Hettie Bennett to either William George Rogers or Thomas Henry Welch
          Plymouth 5b 517 Dec 1879

I cannot find her on 1881 or 1891 censuses tho and cannot find a death either.:(
          Will keep looking.

There is a Hettie ALTHEA ROGERS b June 1881 East Stonehouse Devon 5b 316 Hettie's sister was Althea.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-11-08, 21:00.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat,

I will look into that one further. It certainly sounds promising with the Althea connection there. Thanks for looking
            Pauline
            xx

Comment

Working...
            X