X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Aboard Merchant Ship

I need help please:

JOHN CURWIN - MERCHANT SEAMAN

I have a death (compression of the spine) shown on board a merchant vessel in port (Liverpool) 8 April 1872 but am unable to find death registration on full Ancestry b/m/d. I have searched into 1873 in case an inquest was held but have had no luck. The name of the vessel is ANTENOR.

Were deaths aboard merchant vessels registered anywhere else - even though the vessel was in port?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jean

Try on the "overseas" indexes, Jean (available on Findmypast and Family Relatives).
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have you tried all the different spellings for Curwin like:

Curwen/Cirwan/Kirwan/Kiravan etc. There are many especially in Liverpool!

There are two John Curwen died 1872 on Free BMD. Both died Garstang which is actually Preston, but not far from Liverpool. One died Sept 1872 Qtr, age17 and the other one died Dec 1872 Qtr, age 36. One other John Curwin died Dec 1872 at Bedford age 36, but that is not Liverpool!

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 01-11-08, 14:00.

Comment

John Curwin = Merchant Seaman

To KiterRunner and Janet

Thank you for your ideas but I have searched the overseas deaths on findmypast and have used all the variations of Curwin/Curwen/Kerwen/Kerwin etc., but have had no luck.

I'll have to put it on one side for a while and look at another brickwall!

Thanks for your help.

Jean

Comment

when was he born

Comment

John Curwin = Merchant Seaman

Val

Like a lot of seamen he was a bit of a mystery! I know he married in 1868 and was not on the 1871 Census with his wife and two children. He was, according to family gossip, born in: Ireland/East End of London/Wales and his town was shown as Manchester on his last vessel. There was even gossip that he may have been a bigamist! I estimated his birth about 1845 but have never been able to find a birth certificate. On his marriage certificate he gave his father's name as John.

He must have been a bit of a black sheep but I would still like to "sort him out".

Jean

Comment

was his name definitely John ??? and not Jonathan ???
              I had a look for you earlier but as I did not have a birth year it was awkward.

Comment

Hello Val

His name was definitely(?) John (well that is what it said on his marriage certificate) his son was named Sydney John (born 1870) - although we don't know where the name Sydney came from unless John had been to Australia on his travels!

Another family story was that John's father was not named John but was in fact Thomas!

Apparently all these bits of information were discussed by the older ladies of the family - probably in whispers!

Aren't family stories wonderful.

Jean

Comment

Working...
                X