Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Ford Royal Irish Regiment Ceylon

Dear All,

My great-great grandfather - Richard FORD - was a serving soldier (Sergeant Armourer Royal Irish Regiment) in Ceylon c1837-1840. his wife - Mary - came with him. Whilst there a daughter - Diane FORD - was born at Trincomalee. Now, I cannot find any further reference to Diane anywhere, either in Ceylon, or back in Britain. I am wondering if she died in Ceylon, as an infant! Does anybody know if there are any burial records in existence for Trincomalee, for this period?

Kind Regards

Chris Merry

p/s i don't know anything about Richard and family
    i looked in 3 websites re census and two indian sites

laura

Have you tried the Overseas Section on Findmypast for overseas deaths?

Most marriages and births to soldiers and wives will be on this section and most probably deaths as well. These start around 1780 so you should find something on there.

Unfortunately, for the early soldiers, you really need to go to the National Archives at Kew to research, and you will need to know the regiment. You may find some online from approximately 1878 onwards at the TNA site but they may not all be on there. The TNA site will be found at:

We are a non-ministerial department, and the official archive and publisher for the UK Government, and for England and Wales.

You can pay someone to do the research for you though this will not come cheap.

For Boer War and later, you can use Ancestry. I found the Attestation and Medical Papers on Ancestry for a grt uncle and the death of one of his children, age 1 was reported as having occurred in Ireland in 1906. I would not have known she had existed but for finding these papers on Ancestry.

If you cannot find him on the TNA site that will not necessarily mean that his records are not at Kew, just that they are not online. Of course, they may or may not be at Kew. If not online, then only researching yourself or paying a researcher to search for you will find him or not. I found my Great Grandfathers records at Kew for his soldier period of 1853 to 1876 but I had to research myself. His records are not online.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 01-11-08, 11:45.

Comment

Discharge papers for those discharged from the Army to pension up to 1854 are name indexed on the National Archives site. There is a Richard Ford of 18th Foot (this is the Royal Irish Regiment) who served 1830-1854 and was 47 when discharged. He was born in Stepney. If you think this could be your man, you can order the documents from TNA. The reference is WO97/387/20. Go to this reference on their catalogue, then click on "request this" to get a quote. Unlikely that the documents will mention any children, though.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

The Attestation Papers pre 1883 do NOT contain any records of marriage or children or next of kin.

It is the MUSTER RECORDS which contain all the minutiae of army life to include daily events on pay details, hospital stays, whether on ship or at battles, reasons for absences, change of regiment, all places within a country of where they are, casualties, whether on furlough or not and also whether your soldier is on the Married Establishment or not. The Married Establishment or ME has a roll giving exact ages of children for example I have one who is 2 and 9/12 months old and another who is 7/12 months on a certain date. The Muster records are not online and would have to be researched at Kew.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 01-11-08, 20:13.

Comment

Lots of muster don't have Married Establishment details either.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

hi there
            i will pass on your replies

thanxx laura

Comment

Janet,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found out a great deal about Richard Ford, including all the records that you mention!

It's just the daughter Diana that I am now interested in i.e. trying to find what happened to her!

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X