John Trevaskiss Corporal of Marines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Trevaskiss Corporal of Marines

I am serching for my ancestor John Trevaskiss Born Plymouth Dock Devon c.1785 enlisted Bristol ( Attestation 17 June 1803 set of rolls 21 June 1814 reason D/regn of corps.)
    he had two no. 166 and 179 his occupation was a Taylor
    and married Esther ? she from Scotland I would like to see his attestation Papers and know his wifes maiden name and there parents names (I,m not asking for much I know ) but hope someone can help
    Regards George:D

The IGI has a marriage record for "Sarah Ann Trevaskiss Church" (sic) born England, father John Trevaskiss, mother Esther Popler, spouse Frederick Williams, 28 Feb 1870 Manhattan, New York. It is an "extracted" record rather than "submitted", so that should mean that her mother's name is actually given as Esther Popler on the marriage certificate. So it looks likely that Esther's maiden name was Popler - although of course sometimes people get their mother's maiden name wrong! It might be worth you seeing if you can get a copy of Sarah Ann's marriage certificate to see if there are any more details given.

There are baptisms listed for Sarah Ann (1834), a previous Sarah Ann (1831) and James (1829) all at St Peter, Liverpool, and Elizabeth 1813 at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich, Kent. You probably have all those already?

I would think that his attestation papers should be at The National Archives. Was there no information about how to see them in the place where you got your information about the place and date?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have marine attestation papers covering my ancestors' time served 1861 - 1870. He married during that time but there is no mention of his wife. It gave me place of birth, parents names & his age, not his date of birth which I was hoping for.
      Sam

Comment

Don't know whether you already have this, but there is a marriage on Lancashire BMD for an Esther "Trevashifs" (presumably a mistranscription of Trevaskiss) to George Price at Liverpool St Peter in 1861. There is no alternative surname given for Esther, though, so I'm guessing she might be John and Esther's daughter (or granddaughter?), rather than John's widow Esther remarrying.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
        X