'The World Archives Project'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The World Archives Project'

Just recieved an email from Ancestry about this.

Here's how it works

1 Ancestry will preserve the records, which we'll then scan in so they are ready to go online. This is where you come in. .

2 As a volunteer you’ll need to download and install a small piece of software so you can start transcribing the records.

3 Once you've done this, just select the collection you want to work on and then you'll be able to see the images so you can start typing in the information

4 There is also an online tutorial to help you get started.

So ancestry get the work done for nothing and then charge for it by subscritption????

What do you all think about this?

Just read the email again and noticed this -

Participating in the World Archives Project is easy, and you can spend as much or as little time as you'd like contributing and once complete each collection's indexes will be free to view for all.

It's still only the index that is free...You would still have to pay to see the original record though....

Not sure what to make of this as I think all transcritption projects are a good thing.....But I'm sure ancestry has the money to pay for this to be done???

Comment

... it's probably fine if you can get the software to work! I gave up although I will go back to it when I have more time.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I think they would get more people to help subscribe if they gave them either a nice discount or sometime free on there but it will never happen!!
        Jen

Comment

The software wouldn't work on my computer but I will try to download it onto my laptop and have a go on there when I get time. Yes, ancestry could pay for it to be done but they would have to pay people a low wage or charge a high price for subscriptions, so the mistranscription rate would be very high (like on their other databases).
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Actually to be strictly accurate, the software ran fine - it was the logging in that wouldn't work and by the time I am able to get back to it that may have been sorted out.

I signed up as I thought it was a good idea - the more that is on there the better. Even though it isn't cheap I don't begrudge paying for the use of the site. If it wasn't for the site, I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere with this hobby and I reckon it is excellent value for the amount of time I use it and the vast quantitiy of information I wouldn't have been able to find without it.
            Last edited by Caroline; 01-11-08, 06:20.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I signed up and started one last night . I can log in again today but can't find a way to access the one I started.

The handwriting was beautifully clear compared with census images.
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Just had a look. I wonder what the quality will be like given in the last 90 days the top transcribers did:
                Kit

Comment

I like this bit though:

And coming soon:

Active contributors will be able to vote on which records the project indexes next.
                  Currently, active contributors are participants who help index 900+ records per quarter.

Active contributors will receive free access to original images in the project’s databases.
                  So if you want access to a particular project start indexing!!
                  Kit

Comment

Our Ancestry sub is in OH's name, we got it cheaper because of a 20% discount for new subscribers.

He got this email yesterday and mentioned it to me. I said he would be better off volunteering for FreeReg or FreeBMD. Hence my thread about this.

Comment

I've downloaded it onto the laptop now and had a quick go - all seems good so far, though the Criminal Register thingy didn't seem to be available so I had to opt for the Newspaper Card Index, but that looks interesting too.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                      X