Birth Certificate/Divorce puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Certificate/Divorce puzzle

I have received from TNA divorce docs for my family. The papers are from 1927 and both parties are now deceased.
    The parties were Alice Wood (nee Reardon) and James Frederick Wood. In her petition dated the 18 May 1928 Alice claims that her husband has committed adultery with X. (I imagine she is deceased but connot prove it so have not named her).

Now for the interesting part, there are two versions of a birth certificate for a female born June 1927. I cannot post them in case she is living.

The first one is dated the 20 Oct 1927 and is a certified copy of a birth registered July 1927. All looks normal. The name of the father is given (not anyone I am familiar with I'll refer to him as Y), the mother is given as X previously mentioned in the divorce above. Her surname is given as the same as the father's and her maiden name also provided. An address is provided for the father and occupation. Informant was the superintendent of the hospital where baby was born.

Next another certified copy of the same cert dated 6 Mar 1929 but with amendments written in the margin.

Col 4 omit Y (I.e. father's name)
    Col 5 omit "formerley .........." (I.e. mother's maiden name)
    Col 6 omit profession and address of father
    "Corrected on 15 Dec 1927 by Supt registrar on production of a statutory declaration made by X plus one other of her family)

In the divorce petition X was referred to as a spinster. The address the informant gave on the first birth cert for the father was in fact an address that the couple getting divorced had lived at.

So, it seems that the mother fabricated the father's details and pretended she was married on the first birth certificate. Does the fact that these certificates are included but not referred to in the divorce papers mean that I should consider James Frederick Wood to be the father?

Please let me know what you think?
    Helen in Glos

I agree that X has pretended to be married to Y in order to appear respectable and get his name on the certificate, because otherwise the registrar would not have allowed it. Maybe she has done this on her own and then when she related it to her family they convinced her she should put things right, hence the amended certificate.
    As regards who is the father of the child it was presumably thought a likelihood that James is, by the person who put the certificates with the divorce papers. Are they from the Alice?
    The fact that the child is not mentioned in the divorce doesn't I think mean much because there could have been all kinds of reasons that the pregnancy was kept secret and perhaps only found out about (even by James) after the divorce. Where Y comes in is another matter, maybe he was the man friend of X at the time and a real possibilty for being the father.
    Another thought, maybe Y thought he was the father until news of the divorce came out and he then recinded his agreement.
    Margaret

Comment

Well, I would say you are right that she made up the father's details and was not really married, but as to whether James was the real father or not, it depends whether she had other boyfriends or not!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you both.
        Margaret, I don't know who put the certificates with the divorce papers. I ordered the bundle from TNA.

I do think that Y is a fabricated name (I have other certs in my family with fabricated father's names) she gave him the same surname as herself and seems to have concocted a maiden name for herself as elsewhere she is referred to as a spinster.

Kiterunner, I you're right, I suppose there's no way of ever knowing the truth, like all these things. I just wanted to see if I could read more into the fact that those certs appeared in the bundle, they were a complete surprise.
        Helen in Glos

Comment

Well, you could find out whether James left a will - if he did then he may have mentioned the child.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Good idea - I'll see what I can find. I have been told that he is deceased but have not found his death. I guess that would be the best place to start, or a marriage for the daughter.
            Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
            X