Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Powell

Hi

I'm trying to research Jane Powell. Born England Jan. 3, 1870. She is on the 1901 census for Calgary Alberta Canada. Married to William Thomas Corby. Jane died 1901 and is buried Union cemetery Calgary.

Jane had two daughters Maude M. b1893, Calgary Alberta Canada. I believe ended up in New Westminster BC, Ellen A. "Nellie" b1895, Calgary Alberta Canada. Married Leslie Harrison of Tomahawk Alberta.

Three sons Herbert died after birth 1901, Calgary Alberta Canada. Albert E. b1899 Calgary Alberta Canada. nothing known and Harry b1897,Calgary Alberta Canada. buried Pas de Calais, France 1916.

I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thank you for taking the time to read this

You will need Jane's marriage certificate to find out her father's name and occupation, I should think, because there will be a few possible Jane Powells and I don't think you could just try to find one born on the right date and be sure that's the right one. For instance, sometimes you find out that a few years were knocked off someone's age at some point! The GRO index has one Jane born in England in that quarter (South Shields district and Coventry) and one in Wales - Neath district.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is a baptism on the IGI for a Jane Powell 1 May 1870 at St Thomas, Coventry, parents Charles and Maria, but unfortunately it doesn't give her date of birth on there.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner,

all i have is from the 1901 census. it states she was born in England and came to Canada in 1891. I am sure she married in Canada, because her husband came to Canada from England abt 1880 and was married till his first wife died 1883.

Comment

I did a search on findmypast passenger lists for Jane Powell birth year 1870 + or- 2years going to Canada and this one came up.

POWELL J Adult F 1891 Liverpool Canada Halifax

Sorry I don't have a sub to the site so can't view the details.
          Moggie

Comment

Well, you could try ordering that Coventry birth certificate to see if the date of birth matches what you have, and follow the Coventry Jane through the censuses to make sure she isn't still in England in 1901!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
            X