HUGE request if someone is going to Kew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUGE request if someone is going to Kew

I know this is a big ask and will understand if it is to big and can't be done.

My gg grandfather George Hunt was aboard the s.s. Canada in 1872 and 1873 that I know of ... Reference found in a small journal he kept. I have been in touch with Kew after finding the ship's Official Number 1285. I found the document references for the 2 years to be BT 99/811 for 1872 and BT 99/897 for 1873. There seems to be a great many documents and when I asked for copies of any mentioning my George Hunt they failed to find any. I am assuming they only searched for a limited amount of time allowed for free search.

My big ask is if any of you are going to Kew and have some spare time could you have a look at these records and see if you can come up with anything in the Crew Contracts please.

My aim is to find a clue to his merchant navy service number or what ever they had then and ultimately find his service records. Googleing and TNA record searches haven't turned anything up for me to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MACPANDA'S FAMILY **Please click in**

Did you email Kevin Asplin, Panda?

Comment

No Libby he gets a fee doesn't he?
      Bob isn't into FH and baulks at spending money on it so I get certs past him now but a search fee might be a bone of contention here...

Comment

He gave me quite a bit of info before he even mentioned the fee. I'm sure he will explain what the TNA docs could be without charging you.

There's a stack of Ariel docs at TNA. When I emailed them, they were all either empty or had one docket for a case of sugar they'd bought, things like that. They told me it was a waste to bother getting them.

Comment

These are the documents for the s.s. Canada Libby and they said they had Crew contracts in them and he was crew according to the little journal and by the way he has all the weather stuff (so techno hey...lol) written in it I guess he has to be in navigation at least. Hence there should be a Crew Contract for him. They probably had a lot of crew members though.

Comment

I haven't emailed Kevin Asplin yet Libby been too much going on...lol...what with all the meets etc ... I might leave it go until after I get back from Tasmania now or I will get all antsee if I am in the middle of finding something and we hare it off to the mainland for Christmas and from there to Tasmania and I am expecting an answer from him.......would spoil me holiday I think...rofl.

Comment

If I put a reply in here, this thread should appear in my external email (I hope), so I might have a record of what you're asking. I intend to go to Kew at some point for one of OH's ancestor's fisherman-captain info - and to double-check that they really don't have the crew info for SS Metagama in 1916 (in which case it'll be an arm and a leg to get the info from Newfoundland, I think).

Can't promise that it will be at any particular time/date, though, I'm afraid, so someone else may get there first.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine ... in your own time mate I have been trying to find this info for a year now so a bit more time will not make a difference. I appreciate your interest and offer. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Comment

Just a little nudge in case someone is feeling all Christmasy spirited...pmsl
                  I'll be away until 12th January 2009
                  Have a great one everyone.

Comment

Was thinking and am I going about this the right way if what I want is George Hunt's merchant navy service records?

Should I be looking in a different area.

I only went this way because the ship was my solid lead.

Comment

Just a wee bit of a nudge just in case someone is going to Kew in the near future........the snow you are getting over there at the moment leads me to think you might need to take a lot of requests with you incase you get snowed in there...lol.

Comment

~~~~~~~ 's to Panda from the Very Soggy North. I'm stuck in Canada to LOL

Sheila
                        I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Hello Sheila from a hot but not too humid Russell Island ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Has your flood water gone down yet?

Well they must be getting lots of snow and stuck indoors as well Sheila so needing research to keep them busy...pmsl

Comment

ikkle nudge here

still hoping someone will grab this and run with it...lol

Comment

I was thinking about the files and the book I have of George Hunt's and the entry in the note book is for 1873 so that would be the most likely file to check.

s.s. Canada O.N. 1285 registered in Glasgow
                              1873 TNA Kew BT99/897

I am only interested in the crew list to get my gg grandfathers service number if that is what you call it so I can find his service records please....pretty please with sugar on equal if your a diabetic...lol

I've been trying all day to see if Lloyds would have a copy of crew lists but all roads lead me back to Kew............I am beginning to hate the place and I've never even been there...rofl.

Comment

As it is only the service number for George Hunt I am looking for .... should I be looking in a different direction?????????

Comment

When and where was George born??

Comment

George Hunt 9th August 1835...........Derby, Derbyshire (registration) but he was born and raised in Measham Libby.

Comment

Panda..................I've had another look and can't see anything.

When you say TNA siad they couldn't find anything, it could be that there is nothing in the files.

There are many, many Ariel files at TNA and nearly everyone is empty. One has three receipts for some stock that was bought.

The same happens in Qld. There is a file for every property in Qld owned by the Ariels. they are all empty. I've got myself all excited, sat down with all these brown paper parcels in the Archives and NOTHING!!! Not one piece of paper in some, while others had three or four other farms but not ours.

Comment

The papers I am talking about are the crew agreements of the s.s. Canada Libby and there are heaps of them and far to expensive for me to buy and find nothing. TNA will only search for 1 hour free and that is what happened and they said he wasn't mentioned in the papers they looked at or film what ever but he must have had a crew agreement because I have the proof of his little black book to say he was on board and he did something with the navigating as the page reads nautical stuff. I'll put the page up for you to look at.

Comment

Working...
                                        X