Help please to find Thomas Allsop in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please to find Thomas Allsop in Australia

I am hoping that somebody will be able to help me with this query about a Thomas Allsop who migrated from the UK to Australia c.1876

Thomas was the son of John and Margaret Allsop and was born in 1840.
    In the 1841 census they are enumerated as Allson living in Love Lane
    St Andrew - Hubbard - London. Someone has put in a correction for the name to be changed to Allsopp.

In the 1851 census Margaret is head of the household at 16 Dean Street - St Paul - Shadwell District 2b
    Thomas is 11 and a scholar, brn St George in the East
    sister Margaret is 8, brother Henry 4 and baby sister Maria is 2.

John the father is missing in this census but he re-appears, and disappears again between the following census.!!

I don't know where Thomas is in the 1861, not with his family where his father is back again with them, however in the 1871 he seems to be in the Charing Cross Hospital
    Thomas Allsop U 32 Billiard Maker Middx Ldn

From then on he is missing in the census, however family papers have turned up a Christmas card has from Thomas to his sister Margaret - from Australia dated 1892.
    I have checked the Assisted Immigrant Passenger lists on ancestry.com and found a thomas Allsopp estimated birth year abt.1844 aged 32
    Arrival date 19/8/1876 on the "Samuel Plimsoll" - which would tie in the fact that I haven't been able to find him on the later census. But I'm not 100% sure that this is the right Thomas Allsop anyway.
    How do I go about checking, and what more can I discover about thomas's life in Oz. Did he marry etc etc.??
    Could someone point me in the right direction as I haven't had to do any Australian research before. Many thanks - Val

Hi Val~~~~

Where did he come in Australia??

Comment

Can't find much, but these are on AVRI

Marriages:

All Thomas Allsop

1882 Mary Clift Victoria
      6-10-1894 Mary Keogh Tom age 42 Mary 45 Tasmania.

Comment

Hi Libby, not sure where he was in Oz, but family lore has him as in Victoria, but that is purely guesswork I think.
        I might seem a bit daft here but in the above, does that mean a Thomas Allsop married Mary Clift in Victoria in 1882

and on the 6-10-1894 a Mary Keogh married Thomas Allsop in Tasmania?
        Val

Comment

The Samuel Plimsoll went to NSW, and it was full of Allsopps. Just trying to work out who's who.

Comment

Yes Val......both of those are marriages to a Thomas Allsop.

There are quite afew Allsops but most before your fellow came.

Comment

The NSW State Records passenger list shows the following passengers arriving on the Samuel Plimsoll in 1876:

ALLSOPP Elizabeth / 8 / and family
              ALLSOPP Frederick / 17 /
              ALLSOPP James E / 27 / and wife
              ALLSOPP Jessie / 4 / and family
              ALLSOPP Mary A / 29 / and family
              ALLSOPP Priscella / 24 / and husband
              ALLSOPP Thomas / 32 / and family

Marriages Jun 1874
              Allsop James Samuel Barrow 7a 253
              Boulton Catherine Barrow 7a 253
              Boulton Priscilla Barrow 7a 253
              Lowe Elizabeth Barrow 7a 253
              Smith Henry Barrow 7a 253

Comment

Not sure if this is your man - Barrow on Soar's in Leicestershire. Did Thomas have any connection with that area?

Comment

No Mary, he was born and lived in London and his Father was born in Essex.
                  Really not sure if he had a family when he came out here, had thought he hadn't, but not sure why I had thought that.
                  It turns out be quite a common name which makes things more difficult.

Thankyou Libby for those marriages, are the marriage certificates for australia much the same regards the information they show - as the UK ones?
                  Val

Comment

I would think the Thomas Allsopp who travelled on the Samuel Plimsoll was related to the others, as it says he's travelling with family - probably James' brother.

Comment

Australian certs are much better than English ones, apart from the very early ones.

Comment

I would think you can rule out the Tasmanian one.

Thomas Alsopp 1803 England...married 1868...ELiza Kirk.

These are their children.

1854 Thomas....married 1894....Mary Keogh in Deloraine Tasmania
                        1855 Eliza
                        1858 female
                        1860 MAry ann
                        1864 Emily

Comment

I can't fathom this lot out at all.

I was hoping to find Elizabeth Allsopp b. 1868 on the 1871 English census, but I can't find a likely candidate.

A Thomas Allsopp aged 22 travelled to Queensland in 1866 on the Legion of Honor with a Mary Allsopp aged 20.

And I've just found some of the family from the Samuel Plimsoll travelling to London from Victoria on the Somersetshire, departing in August 1875.

The family consists of Thomas Allsopp, 31, Mrs Allsopp (not named), 29, Elizabeth, 7, Jessie, 2, and Infant Allsopp.

Index to Outward Passengers to Interstate, UK, NZ and Foreign Ports 1852-1886

The Samuel Plimsoll arrived in Sydney in August 1876, and the journey took a couple of months, so they would have reached England on the Somersetshire around October 1875, and set off again about 6 months later. I wonder why?
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-10-08, 03:46.

Comment

There's a complete passenger list for the Samuel Plimsoll here, with the passengers sorted into some kind of order:

ALLSOP JAMES E. / MILLER / EMIGRANT
                            ALLSOP PRISCILLA / EMIGRANT
                            ALLSOP THOMAS / EMIGRANT
                            ALLSOP MARY ANN / EMIGRANT
                            ALLSOP CHILD 1 / EMIGRANT
                            ALLSOP CHILD 2 / EMIGRANT

Comment

From the above list Mary, would you take it that James and Priscilla are a couple and that Thomas and Mary Ann are another couple with two children?
                              Val

Comment

That's what it looks like, yes, although Mary isn't listed as a wife on the NSW version of the passenger list. I posted James and Priscilla's marriage upthread.

I've just been trying to work out a possible scenario.

This might be the marriage of Thomas and Mary (there are only 3 possibles between 1856, when Thomas would be barely old enough to marry, and 1866):

Marriages Jun 1865
                                Allsop Thomas Ashborne 7b 745
                                Hardy Joseph Ashborne 7b 745
                                Robinson Mary Ann Ashborne 7b 745
                                Worthy Ruth Ashborne 7b 745

(Ashborne's in Derbyshire, which is near Leicestershire.)

Thomas and Mary then emigrate to Queensland in 1866.
                                Elizabeth's born in 1868, Jessie in 1872, and infant in 1875.
                                They go back to England in 1875 (leaving James and Priscilla in Australia), infant dies, and they return to Australia the next year.

How they could afford to do that beats me - maybe Thomas was a crew member?

Anyway, this is just speculation. It doesn't rule him out 100%, but the other two possible marriages are both in the Midlands, so I doubt whether he's your man.

Comment

Thanks Ruth, yes I can rule out the Tasmanian Thomas

I would like to find out more about the Thomas Allsop and Mary Clift marriage in Victoria.
                                  Are there any census available for after their marriage date of 1882?
                                  Val

Mary, I just caught your last message on page one, and I would imagine they travelled together as a family unit with Thomas and James being brothers.
                                  So please disregard my previous post.

Val

Comment

From the NSW births index:

Registration Number / Last Name / Given Name(s) / Father's Given Name(s) / Mother's Given Name(s) / District

6710/1867 / ALLSOP / ELIZABETH S / THOMAS W / MARY A W / BINALONG
                                    6723/1868 / ALLSOPP / MARY A / THOMAS / MARY A / BINALONG
                                    7015/1870 / ALLSOPP / THOMAS WILLIAM / THOMAS WILLIAM / MARY ANN / BINALONG
                                    8489/1873 / ALLSOPP / JESSIE / THOMAS / MARY ANN / BOOROWA
                                    4117/1876 / ALLSOPP / THOMAS PLIMSOLL / THOMAS / MARY ANN / GLEBE
                                    10319/1878 / ALLSOPP / FREDERICK / THOMAS / MARY A / BOOROWA
                                    28889/1881 / ALLSOPP / OSWALD / THOMAS WILLIAM / MARY ANN / MURRUMBURRAH
                                    32317/1883 / ALLSOPP / EDITH MURIEL / THOMAS WILLIAM / MARY ANN / MURRUMBURRAH
                                    35027/1885 / ALLSOPP / ARTHUR / THOMAS / MARY A / MURRUMBURRAH
                                    37189/1887 / ALLSOPP / HAROLD / THOMAS / MARY A / MURRUMBURRAH

I wonder if Thomas Plimsoll was born on board?
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-10-08, 04:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Val and George View Post
                                      I would like to find out more about the Thomas Allsop and Mary Clift marriage in Victoria.
                                      Are there any census available for after their marriage date of 1882?
                                      There are no Australian censuses available apart from the 1841.

There are some oldish electoral rolls for Victoria, though - I'll have a look.

Comment

Good grief Mary, you beat me to it again.!!
                                        That scenario looks possible, but like you I wonder how they could have afforded it? And what a trip to take with two littlies in tow?
                                        I'm not too sure what my Thomas would have been doing in Ashborne, although he may have met Mary closer to London and just headed back to her home town for the wedding.
                                        The Thomas who married Mary Clift in Victoria is looking the better bet so far.
                                        I'll see if I can find out if any other names were mentioned in the Christmas card. The person who has it lives in the UK, so will send him an email and hope to hear from him by the morning (our time).
                                        Many thanks to everyone for the info you have dug up so far, much appreciated
                                        Val

Comment

Working...
                                        X