• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abrahamsz /Holland/Ceylon

Hi i have

Anthony Haddon Abrahamsz Leeuwarden, Friesland, Holland no dates

i have looked in the IGI etc

he went to Ceylon and married on the 21 Sep 1760 to Dona Amelia Francke born abt 1739 and had 3 children

Ive been doing the tree abt 10 yrs or so and have just over 39/000 entries
    now its finding any clues / information etc on them

ive also had many a reply saying thanxx for finding great greats etc

hope to find many more

x laura

Um, are you asking for help to find him?

I guess he would probably have been the same age, or slightly older than his wife, so born abt 1839 or earlier. Is his surname Abrahamz (which suggests he might be Jewish) or Haddon?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Lauza,

I don't speak Dutch but from my interest in Dutch paintings I think Abrahamz may be short for Abrahamzoon i.e. a patronymic rather than a surname.

Incidentally, have you really got 39,000 verified entries on your tree?

Peter

Comment

Here is his immediate family

Generation No. 1

1. ANTHONY HADDON1 ABRAHAMSZ was born in Leeuwarden, Friesland, Holland. He married DONA AMELIA FRANCKE 21 Sep 1760 in Dutch Reformed Church, Wolvandaal Ceylon. She was born Abt. 1739 in Ceylon.

More About ANTHONY ABRAHAMSZ and DONA FRANCKE:
        Marriage: 21 Sep 1760, Dutch Reformed Church, Wolvandaal Ceylon

Children of ANTHONY ABRAHAMSZ and DONA FRANCKE are:
        i. RENALDUS ABRAHAM2 ABRAHAMSZ, b. Abt. Sep 1761, Bambalapitiya, Colombo, Ceylon.

More About RENALDUS ABRAHAM ABRAHAMSZ:
        Christening: 27 Sep 1761, Dutch Reformed Church, Bambalapitiya
        Record Change: 16 Feb 2007

2. ii. SOPHIA LOUISA ABRAHAMSZ, b. 1768, Colombo.
        iii. ANNA AMELIA ABRAHAMSZ, b. 04 Dec 1771, Colombo Ceylon; m. JOSEPH NICHOLAS BRIKEY, 07 Jan 1808, Dutch Reformed Church, Wollaston; b. Abt. 1783.

More About JOSEPH BRIKEY and ANNA ABRAHAMSZ:
        Marriage: 07 Jan 1808, Dutch Reformed Church, Wollaston

Comment

Peter is right, Abrahamsz is indeed a patronymic surname.
          see The Dutch surnames database: Details Naam

The following Leeuwarden records are available at Genlias - Zoek uw stamboom uit.
          Births 1811-1902
          Marriages 1811-1922
          Deaths 1811-1940

Earlier records can be obtained through Tresoar, the Frisian Historical and Literary Centre: TRESOAR - Fries Historisch en Letterkundig Centrum (click on the flag upper right to change the language to English).

I would recommend clicking on Genealogy and reading the "explanation of genealogic research at Tresoar".

If you click on Genealogy > Search before 1811, and then scroll down to Explanation > General, you can click on the "names thesaurus" to find the standardised form of name variants.

It gives ABRAHAMS (patronymic) as the standardised form for the following variants: Aabrams, Abarams, Aberams, Abraams, Abraehams, Abraems, Abrahaems, Abraham, Abrahami, Abrahamius, Abrahams, Abrahamsdr, Abrahamsz, Abrahamus, Abrahins, Abrahms, Abrams, Abramsz, Abramus, Abrhamns, Abrhams, Abrhamus, Arahamens

The "names thesaurus" gives Antonius as the standardised form of Anthony.

So when searching, you should enter Antonius Abrahams in the search box. Make sure to tick "Baptisms" and "Leeuwarden". If you select "in detail" by "how do you want the result", it will give you the full summary of each entry found. If using "standard" or "summary" you will need to click on each entry for more information. The "standard" results only give the parents' names so you'll need to click on the result for the name of the child.

The results come up in Dutch, so here are some translations to help you:
          dopen = baptisms
          doopjaar = baptism year
          dopeling = child/person receiving baptism
          gedoopt op = baptised on
          dochter van = daughter of
          zoon van = son of
          vader = father
          moeder = mother

I've searched for Antonius Abrahams in Leeuwarden, but that doesn't bring up any likely matches for the one you're looking for. The closest is an Abraham Antony Abrahams, baptised in 1750.
          So you may need to search in other towns. You can also ask Tresoar to carry out research for you. They charge € 13.50 per 15 minutes. To access the order form, click on Shop > Order copies etc., and scroll down to Historical Research. You can also order copies/scans of the records through the Shop.

See Family Tree Forum's Wiki for more Dutch genealogy links: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...he_Netherlands
          Last edited by Cloggie; 31-10-08, 06:05.
          Sarah

Comment

Are you sure about the middle name Haddon? That isn't a Dutch name.

There is an Anthony Abrahamsz listed on this site: International Ceylon Database

If he was with the VOC (Dutch East India Company) as suggested on that site, he should appear in the VOC Sea Voyagers database: VOC - Opvarenden

There is an Anthoon Abrahamsz from Leeuwarden in the database, who commenced employment with the VOC in 1752 as a soldier. This should link straight to his record in the database: VOC - Opvarenden - Details

Click on the "DAS and voyage no." for the details of his voyage. This shows that he sailed from Texel (an island near Friesland) to Ceylon.

None of these names include "Haddon" though. Where did you find it?
            Last edited by Cloggie; 31-10-08, 07:11.
            Sarah

Comment

bumping this for Laura in case you missed the replies
              Sarah

Comment

HI SARAH

re VOC / yes tis the same one
                we have the journals from 100 yrs ago

Anthony's daughter Sophia goes into the main tree
                And his wife's second husband

i have over 39/000 entries now and its time to connect the lost ones to the main tree as well as finding new family

xxx laura

Comment

Where does "Haddon" come from though? That isn't a Dutch name.
                  I think your best bet to find more about Anthoon Abrahamsz would be to contact TRESOAR. See link in my previous post.
                  Sarah

Comment

Working...
                  X