Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea Pig Club

Hi,
    I fear that I am clutching at straws here if only because most of the people most directly concerned will be no longer with us. But if I don't ask I won't know will I ?
    My late uncle was as far as I remember a navigator / bomb aimer in Lancaster bombers during the 2nd world war. For some reason the plane crashed and he was left with serious facial injuries (although not as bad as some) and was admitted to The East Grinstead Hospital under Archibald McIndoe ie. The Guinea Pig Club. In the book "McIndoe's Army" by Edward Bishop my uncle is mentioned twice.
    Sadly his widow, my aunt, seems to be suffering from dementia and will not speak on the 'phone or answer my letters, so I am having no success in that direction. She lives in London and I am from Cumbria, so a visit is out of the question.
    My uncle was Denis Taylor, but I have no knowledge regarding his squadron or service number, which without doubt hinders things. I have looked on the Queen Victoria Hostpital Museum web site and found the curators email address, but my emails to him return as undelivered. I do intend to write a letter to him.
    So dear Forum member's Can anyone help ? Does anyone have any contact with any still living Guinea Pig Club members.
    Ken.
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

::The Guinea Pig Club::
    says they try to meet up each year.

BBC - BBC Four Documentaries - The Guinea Pig Club
    mentions an official consultant for BBC programme, so could be worth contacting her.

This has a list of 11 books about the Club:
    Guinea Pig Club
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you can work out the right flight, you might find something in Documents Online, in the Combat Reports, Second World War (of which there are 33693). It looks like you'll need more than just his name, though.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Try Googling Bomber Command Association - several sites come up so one might help. You could also write to: Eric Blanchard DFC c/o the Letters Editor, Daily Telegraph. He had a letter published today in which he says he sends lists every year to the Association so he may have the details you need. Good luck.

Comment

Connections

Thanks all of you I shall try your suggestions.
          It's my understanding that they held their last meeting either this year or last because of dwindling numbers and the difficulty in travelling for the remaining men.
          Ken.
          Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

Working...
          X