Times Online Digital Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Times Online Digital Archive

It's a long time since I searched the Times Online Digital Archive - is it no longer free?

Does anyone know of any Essex/London/Norfolk newspapers that can be searched online? I've looked at the newspaper section in the Wiki but haven't been able to find what I'm after yet.

Thanks

Edit: Am off to bed now, will check in tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cherie; 30-10-08, 22:42. Reason: Too tired to stay up!

The Times online is available through libraries. I can access it through my Bedfordshire library membership.

I very much doubt if there will be any extensive local newspapers online. There might be snippets that individuals have made available, but to see most local newspapers you would have to visit the British Library newspaper library, which is moving, or go to the relevant records office/local history centre/central library service.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've been looking through the London Gazette today for info on the De Zuluettas of London and there's quite a lot of info on there going back quite a way. I'm not sure how much of the archive is online but might be worth a look.

Gazette Website
      Hail Spode!

Comment

I see that you live in Essex. So do I and I can access both the Times and the Observer and Guardian archives on line with my ELAN library ticket. There are several other useful publications there too.

Having said that the site seems to be down at the moment but I'll try to remember to put the link up when it comes back.

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks Nell - I shall look up where the British Library Newpapers are off to, here's hoping it's Essex!

Guybrush - thank you for the link, I shall have a good browse today.

Jackie - do you mean that you can look at the Times etc. from home with your Elan ticket or at the library? Either way that's very useful to know, thanks.

Comment

The British Library digital archive has the Ipswich Journal which covers quite a bit of Essex news during the 19th century.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Cherie,
              this webpage might help you - shows what is available from the Essex libraries
              Essex County Council - Free Online Information - your personal Reference Library
              Elaine

Comment

Yes the link that Elaine has put up is the one that I couldn't get last night. If you click on any of the titles it will then ask you for your library ticket number. You can then browse at your leisure from home.

The Times link is at the bottom of the page but its also worth having a look at the one above it which I only discovered last week.

Jackie
                Jackie

Comment

Thanks Phil - that's great to know.

Elaine and Jackie - that's excellent news, I'm off for a play now - thank you very much

Comment

good luck, cherie!! hope you find what you're after:D

Comment

When I registered for online access to Bedfordshire libraries, I was asked for my ticket number and they then sent me login info by post.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks all for your helpful information. I managed to use my normal local library ticket number to gain access to the Essex Libraries website and have been on and off the computer all day searching not only The Times Online Archive but also The Guardian and The Observer archives too.

I haven't found anything about my particular relatives yet but that doesn't mean I haven't had fun looking - it's been really interesting.
                        Last edited by KiteRunner; 31-10-08, 22:59. Reason: refers to deleted post

Comment

Working...
                        X