Email from Ancestry is it a hoax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email from Ancestry is it a hoax

I have had an email from Ancestry supposedly, I dont know why but I feel uneasy about it ,as it contains lots of links, which I am loathe to click on to.
    Has anybody else had this email to say jewish records are available online at Ancestry in collaboration with jewishgen?????
    below is part of it but please dont click on the link

introducing the world's largest online collection of Jewish family history records.

Millions of stories are waiting to be told.

Search the collection.
    Redirect to the target website

i think it's legit. hovver over a link and it then tells you in the bottom left hand of your screen the actual website address.

I looked, it said ancestry.com looks legit, so clicked on it and it took me straight to ancestry and had me logged in. So I'm sure it's ok

Comment

I dont know if its a hoax or not, buts always advisable not to follow links in e-mails anyway.
      Go on to Ancestry your usual way and see if you can find them on there. That way you are safe, just in case.

Comment

Ancestry.com email messages usually address you by you user name.
        teresa

Comment

I think I saw some links to Jewish archives with a "NEW" tag by it when I was searching on Ancestry the other day.

Comment

hi and thanks I did go to ancestry but could not find anything about this new lot , thats why I wondered if it was ligit.
            Can anyone tell me how they found it thanks

Comment

You usually log into Ancestry UK not Ancestry.com the e-mails come from the .com address.

The link posted above is a .com url.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

yes I did see that Glen silly me thats why i didnt find them .
                Thanks

Comment

I have a feeling that most of those new records are only going to be useful to Americans, but I'm sure it'll be worth a look just to check.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

it would be wonderful if I could access them . looks like I may be renewing my subscription

Comment

Val I had once from ancestry once that looked sus so I emailed them and copied in the strange email. I got a fairly quick reply that it was legit. You can always do that if your unsure.
                      Kit

Comment

Val - go to this page
                        Recent Genealogy Databases - Ancestry.co.uk
                        - make sure you tick the box at the top for "Include databases originating outside the UK"
                        Scroll down through the list and you will see a lot of Jewish records that have a Free Index. You should be able to view them with your normal uk subscription.
                        Elaine

Comment

- or go to this page
                          Jewish Family History - Ancestry.com
                          where you can search the complete Jewish databases.
                          Elaine

Comment

thanks Kit will do in future its just that I have never seen so many links in one email and it worried me.
                            Thanks Elaine thats brilliant.

Comment

It looks very promising. It may also be useful as complementary to Jewishgen - which can be a bit of a labyrinth!

Christine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              In this context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN (England, Oz, Pikallin in Lithuania), MARKS (England, Oz, NZ, Himbach in Germany), COHEN, JACOBS JONES, & GOLDBERG (Lithuania)
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-10-08, 21:35.
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That Jewish stuff on there is amazing there is even a bit where you can find different variations of a Jewish name ??

Comment

Working...
                                X