X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo software and a video file question

Evening all

1st question
    I'm on the lookout for a photo editing programme, after changing pooters and going to Vista my HP programme no longer works, i did download what appeared to be the same programme direct from HP but it doesn't have half the facilities (an update to handle RAW files also doesn't work either).

So the question is......are there any decent freeware programmes that i could download that can handle RAW files as well as jpg and GIFF etc, preferably something that allowa two images to be placed side by side or merged together?

I did find a Photoshop programme but it's only a 30 day trial version.

2nd question

I often use a site which has video clips added to posts, most can be viewed in the windows media player (wmp) but some are avi format and the image appears as a moving coloured blob which can't be viewed. Vista help doesn't seem to suggest anything about avi files, is is a download job or is there a setting within the wmp that needs changing?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

2nd question

I often use a site which has video clips added to posts, most can be viewed in the windows media player (wmp) but some are avi format and the image appears as a moving coloured blob which can't be viewed. Vista help doesn't seem to suggest anything about avi files, is is a download job or is there a setting within the wmp that needs changing?
    Can't help with 1st Question but Dave says that you could try VLC.

It is free and will play almost any video including DVD's.

VLC media player - Overview
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy (and Dave), i'll let you know how i get on.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

You could have a look at this, Glen, although I'm afraid I haven't got a clue whether it does the things that you want:
        Free Image & Photo Editing Software Download - PhotoPlus
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

[QUOTE=Glen in Tinsel Knickers;1459147]Evening all

1st question
          I'm on the lookout for a photo editing programme, after changing pooters and going to Vista my HP programme no longer works, i did download what appeared to be the same programme direct from HP but it doesn't have half the facilities (an update to handle RAW files also doesn't work either).

So the question is......are there any decent freeware programmes that i could download that can handle RAW files as well as jpg and GIFF etc, preferably something that allowa two images to be placed side by side or merged together?

QUOTE]

A photographer friend sent me a link to Photoscape - I have downloaded it but haven't had time to play with it yet - a quick look at it does show that it seems to do what you require - it's at PhotoScape - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
          Marion
          There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

I use Photoshop and Elements myself, which are not free, but I have heard good things about the free GIMP software (= GNU Image Manipulation Program):
            GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
            GIMP - Windows installers

The free version of PhotoFiltre (PhotoFiltre V6) is quite good too: PhotoFiltre Studio
            PhotoFiltre V6 appears under Freeware in the menu on the left (the other version, PhotoFiltre Studio, is limited to a 30-day free trial).
            Last edited by Cloggie; 31-10-08, 06:22.
            Sarah

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, i did download Photoscape last night and promptly found it a really wierd thing to navigate so deleted it.

Having checked the reviews and done a bit of googling it seems to be preferred by people over the Gimp products so i tried again.

This time i have found the help menu :o I'm having a play around and it does like pretty good to be honest. Not sure if i can merge two images together yet but that can be done on my camera with RAW images anyway if need be.

I just need to practice and have a play around.

As for the avi files, i downloaded the player recommended and bingo, all up and running.

Now how do i squeeze 26 hours into every day???

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I think you have to fly over the international date line on the day when the clocks go back or something like that, Glen.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                X