Does anyone know please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know please?

If a person says they were born in Kensworth Beds/Herts and I cannot find them on the IGI, where would I need to look for Parish records? please.
    They lived Caddington, Flamstead. Most of the children were baptised in Caddington.

Hi Linda, was this before 1837?

Don't know if this helps?

GENUKI - Kensworth

Comment

Hi, Merry

He was born about 1803 age from census. Cannot understand why I cannot find him on IGI as they say the records are there. In case I am going daft the name is Henry Clifton. I've even gone through the Hugh Wallis site on just surname with no luck.

Trip to Hertford it is then at some point.

Comment

Maybe he was baptised elsewhere, or baptised privately and it didnt get recorded. When you say most of the children were baptised in Caddington, do you mean Henry's siblings?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell,

His children with his first wife were baptised in Caddington between 1827 and 1839, and I have his marriage in Studham in 1827, all from IGI extracted records But I cannot find a baptism for him in the locality.

Comment

The IGI does have some records missing, so it could possibly be that if you look in the PR's you could find him.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I can only echo KiteRunner's advice. I've found for example that some extracted baptisms just have females but when I've checked the actual parish registers on microfilm (either at the relevant county records office or the LDS centre in London) that there are male baptisms too, which don't appear on the IGI.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That explains it then I thought the coverage was sparse for the area. Count myself lucky to have got the children then.

Have to wait until I can get up to Herts.

Thankyou all for your input.

Said in an earlier thread I am going to end up doing a country tour in the new year. Wales, Durham, London, Herts and the old home town Luton.

Comment

Caddington, Flamstead and Kensworth are all within spitting distance of the modern county boundary. Caddington is in Beds., the others in Herts.

Have you looked to see what records are held by Bedfordshire Archives? A quick look shows there are CD's available for early records from Caddington and Kensworth, and the registers should also be available.

Bedfordshire County Council: Bedfordshire parish register series
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thankyou Uncle John,

If they were a bit cheaper I would send for them but unfortunately by the look of it I would need to buy three volumes and as I am not 100% sure that these are my ancestors I think I will wait till I can get up and look at them.

Comment

If you put up details hers I can try and look for them in the transcriptions at Bedford library. Most of the county is covered in the volumes there. Not sure when I'll next be there though - could be a few weeks.

Comment

Thankyou very much Uncle John. I won't get near till Christmas, that's if we come up, and the offices will no doubt be closed, so it looks like it will be the new year before I get chance.

I am looking for Henry Clifton baptism abt 1803 he states Kensworth and Studham on various census. and varied 1803 to 1809 as birth. 1803 being the most stated.
                        He married in Studham 27 Jan 1827 and his fist wife was Sarah Burgoyn/Burgoin b 1811 on 1841 census. she died in 1844. Her father was Thomas and Mother Ann. I cannot find her baptism either.

Comment

Hi perranmaid, don't know if you will get this or even if I am posting this message correctly - have never used a communications forum before! But today, I idly googled Henry Clifton - my great, great grandfather and found your message! I too have never been able to find a record of his baptism. However, I have a copy of his marriage cert. with his second wife - Elizabeth Cheshire - my g,g,g/mother. The certificate shows he was born in Kensworth in 1803 to Charles Clifton. I won't go on at this stage. I would love to know whether you have found a baptism record. I know quite a lot about Henry, he was quite a character! I eventually managed to trace my family back to 1742. I was born in Markyate myself, after a long line of Cliftons! I have made my family tree on the 'family tree maker' software - it may be of use to you. I hope you reply!

Originally posted by perranmaid View Post
                          Thankyou very much Uncle John. I won't get near till Christmas, that's if we come up, and the offices will no doubt be closed, so it looks like it will be the new year before I get chance.

I am looking for Henry Clifton baptism abt 1803 he states Kensworth and Studham on various census. and varied 1803 to 1809 as birth. 1803 being the most stated.
                          He married in Studham 27 Jan 1827 and his fist wife was Sarah Burgoyn/Burgoin b 1811 on 1841 census. she died in 1844. Her father was Thomas and Mother Ann. I cannot find her baptism either.

Comment

Hi Debcyg.

In case Perranmaid doesn't see this thread before it slips out of sight, you could PM her (send her a private message) - just click on her name to bring up the box. That way she'll get the message next time she looks in.

And welcome to FTF

Comment

Hi Debcyg good to hear from you I have been somewhat occupied by my Mum being poorly and one of the (older in terms of the site) members kindly sent me PM so i did not miss your post.

I have yet to prove 100% but based on the evidence I have and the help of the people on here I have strong reason reason to believe that Henry is my 3X Gt Grandfather through Chrles from his first marriage to John to Irene my paternal GrandmotherI would be very interested inany info you may have and I am quite happy to share what I have gathered. I look forward to talking more about this family. i am originally from Luton and still have relatives there.

Comment

just bumping up in case debcyg drops in and doesnt know how to look for thread thankyou again merry for the heads up

Comment

bumping up again just in case

Comment

debcyg is currently showing a green light.

Comment

p.m. her!!!

Comment

Thanks all we have now caught up through PM. I went off as she came on last night Uncle John thankyou.

Hope the suns out in Bedfordshire Im travelling up tomorrow for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                        X