Australian help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian help please

In 1899 in Perth a Walter Brewerton, no age given, was the witness in a murder trial. His mother has remarried the presumed murderer (he got off) called Bowen.
    I would like to find Walters parents and his birth. I believe he died in Perth in 1946.
    I have looked on a WA site but not found birth or marriage of Walter or his mother.
    Any help appreciated.
    Am cooking so will be on and off the comp.
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

What was his mother's Christian name?

Comment

Hi Mary,
      As far as I remember she was called Mrs Bowen on the report.
      Will go and have a search through.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

It was Mary.
        A bit of the report:TRAGEDY IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA. SUPPOSED TRIPLE MURDER. A MAN ARRESTED. (By Telegraph from Our Correspondent.) PERTH. February 27 1899 Particulars of what appears to be a triple murder have been received from Mount Magnet. It is said that, a little after midnight on Saturday, Mr. H. Minder, the licensee of the Mount Magnet Hotel, was attracted by a camp fire a short distance away. On rushing to the place he found the camp to be that of Mrs. M`Arthur, who earned her living by washing and charing. She lived lhere with her two young children. He could not effect an entrance to the camp because of the flames, but was borrlfled to see the corpses of, the mother and the children inside. Walter Brewerton, a nephew of Mrs. J PArthur, who also slept In the camp, which was composed of mud and bricks, states that he was awakened to find the place burning furiously. He endeavoured to get his aunt and the children out, but could not succeed, and he had to make his escape by a small window. Black trackers have`found tracks leading, to the camp of Hartley Bowen, Mrs. M`Arthur`s brother-in law, and he has been arrested. Bowen`s wife has been living apart from him, and staying with her sister in the camp, but on Saturday she remained at Mouut Magnet, where she had gone on business. Bowen, who was much given to drink, has served sentences for threatening the life of his wife.
        Searching for:

Comment

Deaths in WA 1899:

Surname / Given Names / Sex / Age / Father / Mother / Place of Birth / Registration District

MCARTHUR / MARY CATHERINE / - / 33 / JOHN / MCMULLEN HANNAH / TILBURY ENG / -
          MCARTHUR / BERTRAM WALTON / - / 11M / PETER / DOYLE MARY CATHERINE / MT MAGNET
          MCARTHUR / LILIAN / - / 3 / PETER / DOYLE MARY CATHERINE / - / JARRAHDALE

So Walter's mother's maiden name was presumably Doyle.
          Are you sure her name was Mary, as her sister was called Mary Catherine?

I haven't found her marriage to Hartley Bowen so far, or Walter's birth, but perhaps one of the Aussies might be able to find them in the AVRI.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-10-08, 18:25.

Comment

THE MOUNT MAGNET BURN- ING FATALITY. EVIDENCE AT THE ENQUIRY. MOUNT MAGNET, March 3. The acting-coroner, Mr. R. P. Young, resumed the enquiry at the courthouse yesterday morning. The first witness called was Mary Bowen, who deposed that she took in washing, but did not live with her husband on account of his lazy ways. The house was hers, and with her lived her sister, Catherine McArthur, the children Lilly and Bertie, and her son, Walter Brewerton.

The sister must have been known as Catherine but christened Mary Catherine.
            The witness may have been missnamed or maybe Mary something else.
            Many thanks for the above.
            Will ponder on it and see if I can find anything else.
            Searching for:

Comment

According to the WA marriages, Mary Catherine Doyle married Peter McArthur in Fremantle in 1887. Tilbury's in Essex, but I can't find a birth for her on FreeBMD, assuming that she was born about 1866.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-10-08, 18:43.

Comment

There's only one marriage in the WA index for Hartley Bowen: to Eliza Dawson in Perth in 1877. Maybe he wasn't actually married to Walter's mother.

Comment

So Mary Catherine Doyle was the widow Doyle when she married in 1887 and a widow by 1899.
                  I would not be surpised that Mary Bowen was not really married.
                  Am searching through the 1871 and there are parents John and Catherine McMullen with Kate 1867 and Mary 1863. I know it had her mother was Hannah so still looking.
                  Searching for:

Comment

Sorry, I edited my earlier post because there was a mistake in it. Mary Catherine's parents were John Doyle and Hannah McMullen.

I haven't found a likely family yet in 1871 or 1881.
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-10-08, 18:56.

Comment

Many thanks for looking Mary. Must go, husband 'needs' the comp.!!
                      Searching for:

Comment

Here is Walter's death.There are only two Brewerton deaths in W.A

First Names Last Name Application Number
                        WALTER BREWERTON KB00080411

Aged (Years) Date of Death Suburb
                        68 02/08/1946 LEEDERVILLE

Grave/Memorial Location
                        KARRAKATTA CEMETERY ROMAN CATHOLIC JA 0047
                        Cemetery Area or Denomination Section Gravesite

First Names Last Name Application Number
                        MARY OLIVE BREWERTON PC00001880

Aged (Years) Date of Death Suburb
                        91 14/01/2004 BASSENDEAN

Ashes Request
                        TAKEN BY ADMINISTRATOR FROM PINNAROO VALLEY MEMORIAL PARK
                        Regards Sue

Comment

HI

I know this isn't what you're after but would this be about the same man

Item Detail

There's also a transprt convict reporting of 1864 naming this same man with the same alias and being age 28 in the year of 1864 convited at Clerkenwell.
                          WendyP

Comment

Ah, well done, Sue, I forgot to look at the MCB site.

Comment

Thanks for that WA State Records site, Wendy - I hadn't come across it before, although I should have guessed there'd be one, because I've used its NSW counterpart numerous times.

Comment

Have found this on the W.A Archives site

Item 9097
                                Item Title William Brown alias Hartley Bowen
                                Start Date 3 Jul 1886
                                End Date -
                                Consignment No. 3638

Record series containing this item
                                252 CORRESPONDENCE CONCERNING CONVICTS 1 Jan 1861 ~ 1 Jan 1891
                                Last edited by niftynannie; 30-10-08, 19:53.

Comment

The report of the coroner's trial also says that Mr Bowen was JOHN HARTLEY BOWEN, which might make a difference to finding him.

A report of the Supreme Court trial, Mary Bowen says "she had gone through a form of marriage with the prisoner at Leederville" - so possibly not a legal marriage.

you can see lots of reports of the trials at - i searched for Walter Brewerton.

NLA Australian Newspapers beta
                                  Diane
                                  Sydney Australia
                                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Think this might be the death of his first wife

BOWEN ELIZA Age 59 Reg No 152 Reg Year 1889

Comment

Many thanks to all of you.
                                      The report of the trial makes interesting reading. Especially since the chap was found not guilty.
                                      Would like to tie Walter to my one named study but till I can find a birth it is difficult. I have a few on the study who are possibilities but of course this one may have been born in Oz.
                                      Many thanks again
                                      Jeanie
                                      Searching for:

Comment

I have had a look on the AVRI and could not find a birth.He might have been born in SA as they are not on the disc's.

Comment

Working...
                                        X