POW Camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POW Camps

Does anyone know where I can search to find details of records of people held in POW camps, I have a relation who has in Belson when it was liberated by the allied forces in WW2
    Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
    https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
    searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Not sure - my father was in a PoW camp in Germany as an air force prisoner, and I haven't seen any lists with his name on, but I think there are some Red Cross lists - they would have kept separate lists for armed forces prisoners and civilian prisoners in the concentration camps like Belsen, I think.

I'll have a quick google and see if I can find anything.

Comment

In the files of the International Tracing Service of the international Red Cross, there are more than 46 million documents relating to 14 million names of people who felt the sharp heel of the Nazi regime.

(...)

The American Red Cross Holocaust and War Victims Tracing and Information Center taps the resources of the International Tracing Service in Arolsen, Germany, to learn details gathered from Nazi death books, transport and deportation records, forced-labor rolls and correspondence from individuals.
      Tracing Nazi Victims In Red Cross Files - New York Times

Comment

This seems to be the organisation you need to contact:

Comment

I think there is something called The Veterans Association, who MAY be able to help.
          Sorry, don't have an address.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I forgot to check our Wiki, which gives a different Red Cross address:

Researching Prisoners of War

The International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva keeps lists of all known POWs and internees of all nationalities for the Second World War. Enquiries concerning these lists should be directed to:

Archives Division and Research Service
            International Committee of the Red Cross
            19 Avenue de la Paix,
            Geneva CH-1202,
            Switzerland

email: archives.gva@icrc.org
            Military - Family Tree Forum

The Arolsen centre only opened this year, but I should think it's the best starting point.

Comment

There are also questionnaires completed by some POW's held at the National Archives, and a book, also at TNA, which lists all POW's with some very basic information.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by rob123 View Post
                Does anyone know where I can search to find details of records of people held in POW camps, I have a relation who has in Belson when it was liberated by the allied forces in WW2
                Rob, was the relitive British service man or civillian?
                If it's service man I can look for a card at the national archives for you.
                If the person is a civillian I'm sure I've seen some other qs on here and some people to guide you in the right direction.

Comment

I don't think any military prisoners were held in Belsen.

Comment

They were originally Mary and for a while it also became a millitary hospital. Just wondering if Rob had more information to give us. :o

This site gives some information about a book of names some of which were people who survived as the records were all distroyed.
                    Bergen-Belsen Memorial - Book of Commemoration

Comment

First many thanks every Peppie I believe my relation was a military man his name was Wigmore and it was either Goss or Clarence thanks you in anticipation
                      Rob

searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

Rob send me what you know about the gentleman by PM, I'm going to Kew in Dec and will look at the POW records they hold. it may take me a couple of trips as I've a couple of other things to look up and I'm more familiar with the documents regarding POWs of the Japanese.

So that might give you some time to find out some more about him, even rough date of birth or place of birth next of kin can help confirming if I find anything I've got the right person.

Detecting your browser settings
                        Tells you the types of records held.

Comment

PS to my private message Peppie was far as I know he was in Derbyshire and he dad was called Clarence
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Peppie View Post
                            They were originally Mary and for a while it also became a millitary hospital.
                            Oops, I stand corrected.

Thanks for clarifying that

Comment

Working...
                            X