Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1865: Would the Taff Rlwy have paid widow a pension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1865: Would the Taff Rlwy have paid widow a pension?

Just received this report of inquest on my ancestor, Samuel Bryant, from Aberdare Library.

Article from Cardiff & Merthyr Guardian 29/9/1865, appears to be report of inquest:

‘RHONDDA VALLEY
    FATAL ACCIDENT – On Monday last, Samuel Bryant, a tipper, aged 41 years, while engaged in hitching the trams at the Pentre level, accidentally came into contact with the buffers and received a tremendous crush, thereby inflicting extensive injuries to the abdominal viscera. Mr Jones, surgeon, of Ystrad, was promptly in attendance, and rendered every possible assistance but unfortunately the injuries had been so great, that the poor fellow expired in an hour. He leaves a wife and five children.’

I have the death cert. Also looked at Railway links in Wiki for him.

I am assuming he worked on the Taff Railway.

Anyone know what a tipper did? Also would his widow have been given a pension? She took in a lot of lodgers, mainly miners and survived until c. 1906in Pontypridd.
    Liz

It looks as if he worked for a colliery. The mention of "levels" is a clue - collieries had seams at different depths (levels). The accident could have been underground.

A tipper was probably tipping coal from the underground "tram" wagons into a pile for sorting (which I think was women's work).

It's highly unlikely there was more than a nominal payment, and certsinly no pension.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Horrible. My husband's grandfather was run over by an underground tram in 1912, leaving a wife and at least 13 children.

Its possible that the widow received some money from a union, or from the local community.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Uncle John. Thank you for that info. The death cert says accidental death crushed by Railway Carriages. Place was Station Row, Ystrad, Ystradyfodwg.

That could still be colliery? They were shifting millions of tons of coal up and down that line.

thanks Nell. The family survived and the sons carried on working in the mining industry apart from one who got out and became a tailor/barber in the area.
        Liz

Comment

Working...
        X