Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE Shirlow c1910

Hi
    Im new to this site and wondered if any one could could me a nudge in the right direction.
    My Grandfather Richard Shirlow was born in Carrickfergus C. Antrim c1910 but i have hit a brick wall, (managed my Grandmothers side no problem)
    Is there anyone out there who has any tips on where i can try next?
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Have you checked out the Irish Family History Foundation site
    Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

There is a birth registered 1908 Co.Antrim for a Richard James Shirglow - am not too familiar with the site but I believe it costs 5 Euros to view each record - don't know what info you will get for that!

Do you have your grandparents marriage certificate - if it was in the UK then you will have your ggfather's name which might help as a checking point for any possible birth registration for Richard.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi,
      I have been researching in Co Antrim and can tell you that there is very little available for NI at the moment.

For BMD look ups at £2 a go I have used Brian at home page | familyulster.com | providing professional genealogy research and he has been very helpful. He charges £14 per hour for research.

Another good site for BMD records is [url=http://www.emeraldancestors.com] which allows searching just on surnames and costs £10 for a month's access.

Not a lot has been transcribed though so it's hard.

The 1911 census is due out shortly and will help and hopefully it will be available online, if not you may have to get someone to go and look at it for you.

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 30-10-08, 08:45.

Comment

Just had a look at Emerald Ancestors and they are showing 41 marriages for Shirlow between 1845 and 1921 of which 25 are for Antrim. I am not subscribed at the moment so can't see where exactly these marriages took place.
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          There is a birth registered 1908 Co.Antrim for a Richard James Shirglow - am not too familiar with the site but I believe it costs 5 Euros to view each record - don't know what info you will get for that!
          Yes, it is €5 to view the record. I have downloaded a number of baptism and marriage records from that site. The most recent baptism I have is from 1900 and gives the child's name, date of baptism, parents' names, sponsors' names, and parish. It also happens to include a note by the priest to say who she later married and when. But most records will not include such extra notes.
          Sarah

Comment

You could also check Ancestry Ireland. This seems to contain the same BMD records as the IFHF site Elaine mentioned above, but also gives the father's name in the list of results (which the IFHF site doesn't). This Ancestry Ireland site does not allow you to narrow by parish though, whereas the IFHF site does.
            By using the 2 sites together you should be able to narrow your search by parish and father's name.

For example, you could find all the baptisms for a particular name in a certain parish on the IFHF site, and then check the Ancestry Ireland site for the father's name on those baptisms before deciding whether to purchase any records.
            Last edited by Cloggie; 30-10-08, 08:53.
            Sarah

Comment

On the Irish Family History Foundation site the record you get a trasncript of the registration certificate information which for a birth is: parents names and mother's maiden name plus occupation of father and their address. It costs £4 per record.
              Margaret

Comment

I think the information you get will vary by parish, also depending on whether birth or baptism entries are available for a particular parish. The ones I have are baptism entries and do not give the father's occupation.
                Some of the marriage entries I've found do give occupations and addresses, and some of them do not.
                Sarah

Comment

thanks to everyone for their replies they might just set me in the right direction
                  will keep you all informed
                  Thanks again

Marie
                  My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
                  Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

Can anyone find them on 1841 census?

Sorry - wrong thread!!
                    Last edited by jean; 31-10-08, 18:03. Reason: boobed
                    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Working...
                    X