My best tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My best tip

I thought I would share this with you - perhaps you all use it anyway - but it has reaped rewards for me. Here goes.

On many occasions, when I have felt I am getting nowhere, I have resorted to good old fashioned letter writing.
    I have written letters to archives, in a nice and grateful manner, requesting help on a particular branch.
    I do a very nice letter, include attachments such as cert, trees, census and a stamped addressed envelope. I also make sure I include my email address and telephone number so they can contact me with haste.
    The result, on every occasion, is that I have had a very nice e mail with lots of info that has made me progress in leaps and bounds.
    The local archive offices are great and they are always willing to help. I reply with a very grateful e mail and they in turn usually express their willingness to help and how much satisfaction they get from helping.
    This has been successful all over the place for me from Scotland to Wales.

The internet is wonderful and I would never in a million years have got where am today, but sometimes an old fashioned letter just does the trick.

Happy hunting.
    herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

How did you manage not to be presented with a fat bill as I always do???

Comment

Hi Merry,
      On all the times I have done a letter I have had a good reply with lots of info plus they have said that for further research they will charge.
      I always send a cheque, as token of gratitude, but it is by far much cheaper that a rail fair plus an overnight stay in a hotel to get to the archive. I live in the north of Scotland but have direct line relatives in Ireland, England and Wales.
      Perhaps I am just lucky - so far.
      herky
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Well done herky!!

Comment

Herky

I have used your oily technique also with very good results, mostly.

The trick is to engage their interest and make it seem slightly unusual or mysterious, I find!

OC

Comment

The trick is to engage their interest and make it seem slightly unusual or mysterious, I find!
            And to leave out the name Holden until the last sentence??

Comment

Working...
            X