No announcement yet.

William Black search - Canadian census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Black search - Canadian census?

Hi Folks,

Very long story, so will try and keep it condensed!

OH's grandfather disappeared in the early 1900's, having lost his wife in 1904 and his baby daughter in the same year. The other four young children were then brought up by his wife's sister and her husband. William Black seem to then disappear into oblivion, although there are a couple of small snap shots with him on the Cable Ship 'Patrol', which were laying cables in what was then Batavia (Indonesia) and the Far East. There seem to be gossip within the family, however, that somebody who knew William Black had seen him out in Canada on the railways there. He was down as a boilermaker/iron bridge builder on previous censuses in Glasgow, so I guess it's quite feasible.

I know I am clutching at straws, but having seen the new UK Incoming Passenger list on Ancestry, there is a William Black, born in the correct year of 1873, departing Montreal, Quebec. This guy was on the 'Megantic' (a White Star Line) which arrived back in Liverpool on 24 July 1927. His proposed address in the UK is given as C.N. Railways, 17, Cockspur ?, London, and his profession was a railway manager.

Is there any kind soul who could perhaps look at the nearest census for 1927 in Canada (sorry, have no idea when the Canadian censuses were held then). Our William Black was born 30 Sept. 1873 in Glasgow, and was married to Isabella Lockie in 1899. I would dearly love to solve the mystery of 'Him Who Did a Runner', as we have always called him. Sad story, eh?

Many thanks,

Chris

Chris, the 1911 census is I think the last available for Canada. I found my missing family using this free site.

1911 Census of Canada Indexing Project
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
      Chris, the 1911 census is I think the last available for Canada. I found my missing family using this free site.

1911 Census of Canada Indexing Project
      Sorry I've taken so long to reply - chaotic evening! Many thanks for that info, Daphne - will give it a whirl.

Chris

Comment

Just spent the last hour or so on that site. Bit of a muddle at first until I sussed out how to get the image up and enlarged. Great stuff though! Sadly, I haven't found 'Im Who Did A Runner' as yet, but one of these fine days..................

Chris

P.S. Anybody got the 1911 Census for Shanghai perhaps?:D

Comment

Worth noting that there's another William Black record - right YoB - "Metagama" in 1920 from Canada to L'pool.

Have you looked on the inbound passenger lists on the Canadian archives? Introduction - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada Not indexed, mind you!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think it may be the same one as is shown on the "Canada", inbound on 26 Oct 1924 to L'pool from Montreal/Quebec - YoB = 1873, a "Railway Manager". Claims to have permanent residence in England , and gives a Golders Green address.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              I think it may be the same one as is shown on the "Canada", inbound on 26 Oct 1924 to L'pool from Montreal/Quebec - YoB = 1873, a "Railway Manager". Claims to have permanent residence in England , and gives a Golders Green address.

Christine
              Christine,

Well, that's what made me think that this could well be one and the same guy. I do know that this C.S. Patrol did set sail originally from London to lay cables mainly in the Far East, but of course there were a lot of cable ships plying back and forth across the Atlantic so he could well have worked on any of them as well perhaps? It's just this gossip within OH's family donkeys' years ago that said somebody they knew had seen this William Black on a railway bogey in Canada. Fantasy? Who knows............

Chris

Comment

There are several William Blacks arriving in Canada in the early 1900s listed on this site:
                Ships Lists Indexing Project
                From the ages given, one or two could be the one you're looking for.
                Jenny

Comment

Working...
                X