Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Goult c.1794-1831 (Althorne / Norton)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Goult c.1794-1831 (Althorne / Norton)

John is my ggg-grandfather. He married Maria Jennings of Althorne, Essex, in Althorne in 1818, and the marriage entry in the Parish Register describes him as "from Burnham" (on Crouch). After the marriage they lived in Norton, Suffolk, and had 4 children (John, Elijah, William (my gg-grandfather), and Maria). He was buried in Norton in 1831.
    I should like to find out where he was born (and thence hopefully to his parents). Likelihood, I think, is somewhere in West Suffolk.
    If anybody has info on John Goult's origins then please let me know (or any John Goult born anywhere about this time which I might follow up).
    many thanks

Hi
    It might be worth checking to see if your John Goult was born in Essex. Below is a link to the Essex Baptism Index. The charges are very reasonable. The link to prices doesn't seem to be working so scroll down to the bottom of the page for details.
    Moggie
    GENUKI: Essex Baptisms

Comment

Hi d!
      I have sent you a message regarding my Goult family tree

Comment

Moggie - thanks for your suggestion re Essex Baptisms. In my mind I feel the balance of probablity points to John being from Suffolk, but I may well take up the Essex lead given the very modest expenditure.
        Boudicca - thanks for info sent as a private message. As my John means nothing to you it looks like I can reasonably discount the Gazeley,etc area from my search, and, that is progress of a kind in itself.

Comment

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

I don't know whether this is relevant to your family but when I put in "John Gault" 1794 it brought up some possibilities. Click on the batch number and put in "Gault" and it brings a lot of people up. Of course you may already have done this, but if not, it's worth a look!
          Last edited by Boudicca; 29-10-08, 20:41.

Comment

Me again! Just had a look on the map and Norton and Bardwell aren't that far away, so the John Gault from Bardwell born 1794 and your John could be one and the same! They aren't that far from my Goults so there could still be a connection somewhere.

Comment

just had a quick look on GR...nothing for John Goult b c1794
              1 for John Gault b 1794 ...born in Bardwell,Suffolk....contact name is Graham..is he in either of your trees ??....allan
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

thanks, Boudicca & Allen - this John Gault b. Bardwell looks a real possibility. Bardwell & Norton are only 6 miles apart. Annoying that my fuzzy searches of "Goult" on IGI didn't throw up "Gault", only "Gould", etc., but then I shouldn't criticize a free resource. If this is the same chap then I wonder why he was born Gault but became Goult (praps the change was by accident , given his illiteracy?). Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my free GR membership to pursue with Graham, but I'll give it a few days in case he sees it here first!

Comment

I have found them as Gaut, Galt, Gault, Golt, and Goult (which is how it has stayed). You would think that all of these options would come up together but they don't.

Let me know how you get on....it would be interesting to see if they connect to my family further back.

Comment

I've contacted Graham & there's strong evidence that my John Goult & his John Gault are the same person. However, I think absolute proof is only provided by finding a reference linking Bardwell to Althorne/Burnham on Crouch, & I don't suppose any such document exists. However, I'm 90% convinced, & Graham has John Gault's ancestors back to John Gault b1569 (Dalham, Suffolk)!

Comment

Working...
                    X