1881 Census - Inside??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 Census - Inside??

I have the Lucas family in Chiddingfold. Harriet is one of my Stilwell descendants.

Harriet is given as born in Middlesex Bloomsbury (correct). Beside this in the column for deaf and dumb, blind, imbecile or idiot and lunatic there appears the word "Inside" (at least I think that is what it says).

Does this refer to this column or her place of birth. There are no entries for her in this column in later censuses. She lived until 1904.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Chrissie, thanks for your thoughts.

RG11; 791; 93; 14

Winterton Arms Main Road Chiddingfold
    George Lucas Head Mar 59 Licensed Victualler Surrey
    Alford
    Harriet Wife Mar 55 Middlesex Bloombsbury Inside
    Kathrine Daur Unm 20 Surrey Chiddingfold
    Ellen Furlonger Daur Wid 25 Surrey Chiddingfold
    Nellie Furlonger Granddaughter 1 Surrey Chiddingfold

It definitely looks like "inside" The i is dotted.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Looks like "inside" to me as well!
      Elaine

Comment

Looks like Inside to me too. Who knows what it meant!!! I've seen all sorts of things scrawled in that column. Usually it is another version of the county or some other late addition by either the enumerator or the checking clerk. In many cases they did not mean it to be relevant to the actual column at all.

Can't think of any meaning for 'Inside' in this case. Perhaps she had agorophobia!

Sorry - no help at all.

Anne

Comment

If you click on the next page there are more with that written at the end of their birthplace. There is also one saying "Surrey out" so I don't know if that helps at all. Very odd!

Joanie

Comment

Were there detached pieces of Surrey at one time? Chiddingfold is fairly close to the Hampshire and Sussex borders.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I was just thinking that it may have something to do with county borders Uncle John.

Joanie

Comment

Sorry Elizabeth, I didn't realise that you had already seen my reply when I deleted. I should explain that I deleted because I went looking and found the page and it did say Inside. I was afraid that my suggestion might have offended you.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh, Chrissie, it would take more than that to offend me! (I hadn't realised that you had deleted)

These are descendants of my 4xgt grandfather and not a direct line of mine.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Do you think it could say "Midx"?
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Okay, having looked at some of the other entries, scrub that idea!

I think it's something to do with being born inside the boundary of London. I know that London wasn't actually a county in 1881 but it was a "metropolis". If you look at the entries that say "Inside" they are places that are in London and the ones that say "Out" are outside London. I can't check just now what exactly the 1881 census did about London because it's past my bedtime!
                      Last edited by KiteRunner; 30-10-08, 09:06. Reason: missed out a word
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        Were there detached pieces of Surrey at one time? Chiddingfold is fairly close to the Hampshire and Sussex borders.
                        I have a set of Sidney Hall's maps of the 1830s which shows these detached bits of counties, and the only one near Chiddingfold is a piece of Hampshire belonging to East Meon which lies within the Sussex boundary. This is a long narrow strip running from just South of Haslemere to just SE of Midhurst.

The maps don't show any detached pieces for Surrey as far as I can see.

Correction: I meant SE of Midhurst not SW as I put originally
                        Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 30-10-08, 07:00. Reason: Not properly awake yet!!!

Comment

No, it's definitely to do with London because "Inside" is written next to places in different counties - Middlesex, Surrey, Kent - but all are in London, e.g. Greenwich, Lambeth.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry to be argumentative, but I find it hard to get my head round the idea that Chiddingfold was ever considered part of Greater London. It was 38½ miles from central London by road according to Ogilvy in 1804. That's further than Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells or Chelmsford in other directions.

Comment

Yes, but the "Inside" isn't written next to Chiddingfold - it's next to a birthplace of "Middlesex Bloomsbury".
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Apologies KR, I didn't read the earlier posts properly:o:o

Comment

Working...
                                X