any super-searchers out there? UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any super-searchers out there? UPDATE

Milton Doland married Esther Hughes in 1859(Liverpool). His great grandaughter says he was American and eventually met his end while travelling to U.S.A.I thought it would be easy to find him on 1861 census,but have not found any trace of him ,or his wife,or his daughter May Dol(l)and.Have not found birth of May,or death of Esther.
    Can anybody find anything please?
    Will be out for a while so will look in later.
    Fran

I wonder if Esther remarried?
    Marriages Jun 1868
    >>>BAXTER George John
    Boyer Fanny
    >>>Doland Esther Margaret
    Whitsed William Stevens

Clerkenwell 1b 923

In 1871 there is a George Baxter with wife Esther, and living with them is Mary Doland born 1848 - does she fit in with Esther's family at all.
    RG10; Piece: 611; Folio: 81; Page: 8

.. worries that this is so far away from Liverpool - so may be nothing to do with what you are looking for!

Update - I can see another Esther Doland in the London area in 1851 and 1861 census - so this probably needs to be ignored!
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 29-10-08, 08:36.
    Elaine

Comment

Do you have any idea when May was born?
      Elaine

Comment

There is a Milton Doland, farmer, listed on the 1860 New York census at Darien, Genesee County. (Transcribed as Mllon on the 1860 US census on ancestry) Age 37 born Ireland with wife Mary also born Ireland, so presumably not the same Milton as yours. Did your Milton give details of his father on his marriage certificate? And his age?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There was an Esther Margaret Dolland born in 1845, so I don't think the marriage reg is correct :(

Comment

I agree Zoe - just left it there so it could be discounted.
            Elaine

Comment

There are several submitted entries on Family Search for him, whicvh all mention the marriage and give a date of death for Milton of 12th July 1860.

Comment

Thank you for your replies everyone,
                I don't know any more details.My friend is waiting for the marriage certificates to find out-May's birth year and the names of her grandparents.The age on May's marriage cert may not be of much help I know,as there does not seem to be a likely candidate on the indexes.
                Merry,I had not seen those entries,if the date of death is correct,then he wasn't married long.
                If he died at sea where would his death be registered?
                Esther and May should be somewhere on a census shouldn't they?Can't find them in 1871 or 1881 either.
                Fran

Comment

If he died at sea where would his death be registered?
                  You could try the overseas death registrations. They are available through FindMyPast.

Comment

Thanks Merry,
                    I thought F.M.P. only had records for British people.Would they have Americans on?
                    Fran

Comment

It might depend on the ship he was on. Worth looking anyway, though perhaps only a 25% chance of finding anything. It's a pity the people who knew the date didn't record the place of death :(

Comment

Thanks Merry.
                        I wish I could find Esther and May after 1859.I know May got married in 1890.In fact I believe she got married several times.So many times that her daughter did not want to talk about her!
                        Fran

Comment

Do you know who May married in 1890?
                          If we can find her with husband in 1891 then it should give her age and place of birth which might make it easier to find her in the earlier censuses.
                          Elaine

Comment

Found it on the Lancs BMD - she married Edward Parry - will see if I can see them in 1891
                            Elaine

Comment

Can't see where they are hiding unfortunately. :(
                              Elaine

Comment

Yes it was Edward Parry,Elaine.Thank you for trying.
                                Fran

Comment

Do you know if Edward and May Parry had any children?
                                  Fiona. xx

Comment

Yes Fiona,Just one(I think,but wont swear to it!)-Margaret,She married 1925 but I do not have a birth ref.
                                    Fran

Comment

Do you know about when Margaret was born? Age on marriage certificate?
                                      Fiona. xx

Comment

In 1891 there is a May Parry in Hospital and also on the same page a John Parry one day old. Not sure if these are yours as her d.o.b is given as c.1867. Do you have May's Marriage certificate to Edward Parry? I know she could always have lied about her age but wondered how old she was on that.

RG12; Piece: 2913; Folio 10; Page 12

There is this family in 1901, Edward, Mary, and three children John 10, Margaret 6 and Edward 4.

RG13; Piece: 3413; Folio: 145; Page: 11
                                        Fiona. xx

Comment

Working...
                                        X