email problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• email problem

There seems to be something jamming my outlook express system. When I open OE it repeatedly downloads about a dozen emails over and over again then stops, saying it is downloading 11 of 22 but goes no further. I've emptied all boxes as far as I can but to no avail. Any ideas/suggestions please.

Last edited by Cath RJ; 29-10-08, 16:36.
    Cath.

Can you view your emails online rather than downloading them - you might be able to see which message is causing the problem.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine - I don't understand what you mean?
      Cath.

Comment

What is your email address - just the last part of it after the @ sign

e.g. @hotmail.co.uk .. or @ yahoo.co.uk etc.
        Elaine

Comment

@btinternet.com
          Cath.

Comment

OK - there should be a btinternet web page that you can sign into to read your emails on the web, rather than downloading them to your computer.

I am sure there are other btinternet users on here that can advise you - not sure if this is the page you need
            Best-in-class Yahoo Mail, breaking local, national and global news, finance, sport, music, films and more. You get more out of the web, you get more out of life.

Once you log in you should be able see what emails are waiting to be downloaded - check them through and delete any you don´t want - then try downloading the rest to Outlook Express as normal.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - that seems to have helped a bit but now it says there a 3 messages coming through but something is still stopping them arriving so the system just goes to time out. Thanks for your help but I'm getting too frustrated to carry on tonight so I'll give it another go tomorrow.
              Cath.

Comment

This has happened to me on a number of times on another ISP. In my case it was a large image that was sent to me and it just blocked the system. I contacted my ISP customer/technical services and they cleared the system. You will loose the item that is causing the block and you may loose the remaining emails. Only customer services/technical can tell you that.
                If you only have an expensive help line either try and email them and if you cannot 'send' maybe you have a friend who can do this for you or a local library with a PC.
                Margaret N
                DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Maybe you can create a new folder on your online webmail page, and move the emails into it, or if you can work out which one is causing the problem, just move that one into the new folder and then the others should come through o.k.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. We've just spent over an hour on the phone with BT/Yahoo who claim they have now sorted the problem but I'm yet to be convinced.
                    Cath.

Comment

Cath - did you log on to your online BTinternet mail?
                      Logout - BT Yahoo!

You will need your email address and password to log on in the boxes.
                      When you get to your 'home page' click on the 'Mail' link on the right. That will take you to your webmail page.

On the left are links to your Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Spam and Trash. Click on the Inbox to see all the mail there. You can then open them there on the webpage and delete anything you don't want before it has a chance to download to your Outlook Express.

I have come accross many BTinternet users who didn't know they had a webpage. It is specially useful to check the Spam box to make sure you haven't had any important messages sent there. Those ones do NOT come into your Outlook Express.

Sorry if you already knew all this!!! :p

Anne

Comment

Working...
                      X