James Andrew(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Andrew(s)

He's a real pain in the butt and his beloved wife Annie. b Ireland!!!

I have him born in 1853 in Oldham, Lancs and on the census 1861, 1871 and 1881 with his parents James and Ann b Stockport and Liverpool.

In 1891 his father is a widower and they're in lodgings at Chadderton

In 1893 his brother registers his father's death in Oldham/Chadderton - no sign of James

In 1901 census he's married to Annie (nee Norman) in Burnley with baby son James.

So in 1901 he's 47 and Annie is 42

In 1915 Annie dies age 65 ????? in Salford and its stated the widow of James Andrews, a clogger (correct) but age is wrong!!!

So when and where did James die? He's not the one who died in 1904 or 1908

Haven't found their marriage either - so am wondering did he die or just do a runner???

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Have you searched the GRO indexes Q by Q and made a list of possibles?

Would it be worth investigating Annie's burial to see if she's in a family grave? - she might be with James.

What about the marriage cert for James and Annie's son - was James recorded as dec'd, or not? (not always to be relied on, but might help!). Did they have any other children whose marriage records you could check?

Comment

Thanks Merry

She died at Pendleton Union Infirmary on 23/11/1915 and her death was registered by the Steward. She was buried at Weast Cemetary, Salford in a common grave.

Their only child was James - who married in 1921 and said his father James, a clogger was deceased.

He told his family he was orphaned either as a toddler or age 9 and then fostered and that his mother was old!!! Wonder why he didn't register his mother's death!!!

There are an awful lot of James Andrew(s) around Oldham/Chadderton/Ashton area.

Sorry got to go out now - be back later

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

He's not the one who died in 1904 or 1908
        What about these two?

Deaths Sep 1906
        ANDREW James 49 Burnley 8e 172

Deaths Dec 1913
        Andrew James 62 Oldham 8d 759

Comment

Thanks Merry

Think I will see if either of them is James - didn't really consider them before as I thought Annie would have registered them with the "S".

Just wish I could find a marriage for them!!!

Comment

Are you looking for James Andrew marrying Annie Norman? If she's as old as it says on her death cert than it's quite possible she was married before James, maiden name on James jnrs birth cert would be Norman, but that's not necassarily the name she married James in.... Hope that makes sense.
            Do you have Annie on any census prior to 1901?
            Last edited by Smiley Sammy; 28-10-08, 20:45.

Comment

James jr's birth cert should give any other surnames that Annie had gone by, though.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes Annie Norman but have trailed the indexes looking for a marriage.

and there's only the one maiden name on James jnrs birth certificate.

Just seems strange that James snr was living with his father in 1891 but his brother William registers the death in 1893 - so where was he???? What happened between 1891 (before which he'd not left Oldham) and 1901 when he appears married and with a son in Burnley. Where did he go and how did he meet Annie??? questions questions!!!

As regards Annie's age 42 in 1901 yet 65 in 1915 - did ask if it was mistranscribed as I believe it should have been 56 if age in 1901 was correct and 50 would seem a bit old to have a first child!!!

Comment

i would think that the age on the death cert is wrong. the steward doesn't sound like family, and even they could get things wrong.

Comment

Yes I'm convinced I have the right death certificate for Annie as her husband's name and occupation are correct.

I'm going to send for the James Andrew death certificate in Burnley and see what that says. - hopefully it'll be the right one - already have the 1904 and 1908 ones but they're not the right ones.

Comment

i didnt mean that you had the wrong death cert, just that the informant may not have known how old she was.

good luck with the new possibilities, hope one is the one you're after

Comment

Working...
                      X