Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancestry searches anyone seen this before???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry searches anyone seen this before???

Searching 1901 census for Charles Clifton 1834 +/- 2 years exact. Through FTM 2009.

3 results show. I know another one should be there so refined search to soundex it then gave me 5 possibles.

But the additional two had the correct spelling.

just gone back and repeated initial search from the beginning with exact and it gave me 5 as it should have in the first place. It was really strange.

I can't really answer the question but it's interesting to know that the websearching still has problems.

I know that websearching through FTM can be a wierd and wonderful exercise. My 2005 version often put a less likely match above the better matches for some reason, yet when the search was dome directly on Ancestry the results would be reversed.

If i had to hazard a guess i would say the reason is that the search criteria must be interpreted differently from FTM searches compared to "Ancestry" searches, but it's only a guess. It may be a quirk of the programme that affects a search.

FTM 2006 had an intermittent problem retaining search criteria and the publishers couldn't resolve the problem.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I never use the Ancestry function thorough FTM, prefer to go direct to Ancestry.

Comment

I use FTM search most of the time. The 2008 version isn't as good at finding people as my 2006. I used to find all sorts of weird spelling with the 2006.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thankyou all i must agree that searching direct seems to give better control over what you get. I suppose it would be better to do that when searching something elusive and then go through FTM to merge the record. (Thinking out loud). If you actually find it....that is.

Comment

Working...
          X