Newspaper archive help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper archive help please

On the blacksheep index there is a Samuel Brewerton, match wkr, Newcastle 1862.
    I have this chap on my study and think he came from Bethnal Green.
    Can anyone find out why he is on the index?
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

You'd need to find out more. The index includes white sheep as well as black ones. You don't even have a month to go on, so that's a lot of newspaper to go through.

There's nothing in The Times online archive for that name and year.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Maddeningly the 1861 census index has 6 Samuel Brewertons, none in Newcastle or Bethnal Green!

Comment

Hi Nell,
        Thanks for looking in the Times for me. This is an interesting family. I believe that he is Samuel who lived in Bethnal Green and was jailed for stealing matches. His brother was a famous jewel thief who went to OZ.
        However, he may be a total innocent whom I am libeling!!
        I wonder if there is a way of looking at Newcastle papers.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

On the 1861 the BG Samuels wife was by her self with 2 children. There is some thought that he is hiding under Broughton with a new 'wife' and son in Shoreditch.
          The Newcastle Samuel starts having children there in 1866 though he has his London born son (1861) with him.
          Searching for:

Comment

If you want to look at local newspapers, there's unlikely to be anything online. Copies are at the relevant local history centres/county archives and libraries.

The British Library newspaper archive has a vast collection, though its moving soon.

I think your problem will be that Newcastle will have many local papers to trawl through.

Comment

I suppose you could always go the simple route of ordering a copy of the piece from the Black Sheep site?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi I found this in the proceedings for the Old Bailey.

SAMUEL BREWERTON, Theft > simple larceny, 3rd April 1848.

Reference Number: t18480403-1117
                Offence: Theft > simple larceny
                Verdict: Guilty > other
                Punishment: Imprisonment > other
                See original
                1117. SAMUEL BREWERTON , stealing 494 boxes of lucifer matches, value 10s. 9d.; the goods of Elizabeth Johnson.

ELIZABETH JOHNSON. I am a widow, and keep an oil-shop at Bethnalgreen On 25th march, between two and three o'clock, the prisoner came to know if I could accommodate him with some lucifer matches, for a customer; and if I would send any one with him, they should bring the money back—I knew him before, and allowed him to pack up some—I did not give him credit, but sent my daughter with him for the money—I never saw money or goods again.

Prisoner. You made me out a bill? Witness. You asked me to put it on paper; and I did, that my daughter might know what to bring back.

ELIZABETH JOHNSON, JUN. I live with my mother. She sent me with the prisoner—he was to give me 10s. 9d.—I went with him to Leather-lane, Holborn—he told me to stop outside, and said he had forgot the box—he went back to fetch it, and I never saw him again.

WILLIAM JENKINSON. I deal in matches, at Leather-lane. The prisoner brought me three or four gross of matches—I gave him 8s. for them—I have bought of him for years—he asked leave to leave the board on which they were brought—he returned directly, and took it away—I did not see him again.

GUILTY. Aged 17.— Confined Three Months.

(There were two other indictments.)

Barbara

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Many thanks for the advice. Will do so.
                  Regards Jeanie
                  Searching for:

Comment

I'm not sure that the Samuel Brewerton, of Bethnal Green, tried at the Old Bailey is necessarily the same as the chap in Newcastle.

Comment

Many thanks Barbara for that info.
                      Hi Nell,
                      I'm not sure either but there are lots of similarities.
                      Newcastle Sam was born in London and his family (people doing his tree) cannot find his marriage to Amelia Brown/Tiddeman but they have a son Samuel in London, and some years later children in Newcastle. They then go to Newcastle where they are matchmakers.
                      The Sam BG has wife Emma but disappears in 1861 though she is not a widow. He is also involved, apart from stealing them, in making matches.
                      I am going to look at the blacksheep site to see how much it costs to get the info.
                      Thanks for the interest.
                      Jeanie
                      Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                      X