Looking too hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking too hard?

I've been trying to get beyond John Thomas Reed (Read) 1841 St Margarets Leicester for the last three years now and I've come to the conclusion that either he was somewhere else on the previous censuses or I found him and dismissed it.

There are 3 John Read's and 1 John Thomas Read born Leicester between 1839 and 1842 and I'm tempted to send for the latter's cert. He was married in India but I'm blowed if I can find the page I printed off nor can I remember where I found the evidence.

The daft thing is that I can find him and his family together on the 1881 with his pregnant wife, a dressmaker living at a girls' school. That makes sense as the distance between the two would've been a couple of miles and with all those "gels" and teachers she probably had a lot of work to do!

I'm answering my own question here aren't I, send off for the possible cert

La plus perdue de toutes les journees est celle ou l'on n'a pas ri
    Chamfort

The most completely wasted of all days are those on which we have not laughed

Cherry, unless you get his marriage certificate, which will give his father's name and occupation, how will you know that the birth certificate your order is the correct one.
    Elaine

Comment

Yes, you're right of course Elaine. I just wish I could remember exactly where I found details of his marriage to Laura in India. I don't even know whether it would be possible to get a copy of the cert, so he might have to be my brick wall

Chamfort

Comment

I found some India marriages and baptisms on here:

FIBIS | Families In British India Society | Family History in British India
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Could it have been in the Overseas BMDs?
          Do you have a maiden name for Laura which is slightly less common than Reed/Read - or a date of marriage?
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            I found some India marriages and baptisms on here:

FIBIS | Families In British India Society | Family History in British India
            Thank you Little Nell. I did have a look at the FIBIS site the other day but it didn't ring any bells with that which I'd seen before. I'll certainly have another look though.

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Could it have been in the Overseas BMDs?
            Do you have a maiden name for Laura which is slightly less common than Reed/Read - or a date of marriage?

Overseas BMDs, is that on Ancestry Elaine? Laura Elizabeth's maiden name was Blaver (aka Blover)but she was Donnelly, a widow (her husband Richard having been killed in India) when she married John.

Chamfort

Comment

Overseas BMDs are on FindmyPast and Family Relatives.
              Do you have an approximate date for the marriage?
              Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine

(Laura's two daughters from her previous marriage to Richard Donnelly were Laura Elizabeth born 1870 Dingshia, India and Adelaide Laura born 1873 Sutapore India but I don't know the date of Richard's death )

John and Laura's son William George was born in 1877 Allahabad, India so I'm presuming the time scale must be circa 1874 - 1877?

Chamfort

Comment

Sorry Cherry - cannot see anything.

Was John in the Army whilst in India?
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Sorry Cherry - cannot see anything.

Was John in the Army whilst in India?
                    Thank you so much for your time Elaine, much appreciated.

Yes, John was in the Northumberland Fusiliers but I can't find much information there.

Chamfort

Comment

From Fibis:

Presidency of Marriage: BENGAL
                      Marriage Year: 1875
                      Husband First Names: John Thomas
                      Husband Surname: Reed
                      Wife First Names: Laura E.
                      Wife Surname: Donelly
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-10-08, 17:27.

Comment

Oh my word, Mary that's it, thank you so much, I'll go back to FIBIS.

I know it's very cheeky but what "page" did you find it on?

Chamfort

Comment

I clicked on "Find a person" and entered the name John Reed, then tried the various marriage indexes one at a time till I found them under "Marriage Indexes
                          Ecclesiastical records > Marriages > Bengal Marriages".

FIBIS - Powered by The Frontis Archive Publishing System

Comment

By the way, his baptism isn't showing up at St. Margaret's, Leicester, but it was a large district, so he may have been baptised at All Saints or St. Nicholas, for example.

Comment

If you decide to risk getting any birth certs, bear in mind that Belgrave comes under the Barrow on Soar registration district, not Leicester.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                I clicked on "Find a person" and entered the name John Reed, then tried the various marriage indexes one at a time till I found them under "Marriage Indexes
                                Ecclesiastical records > Marriages > Bengal Marriages".

FIBIS - Powered by The Frontis Archive Publishing System
                                By the way, his baptism isn't showing up at St. Margaret's, Leicester, but it was a large district, so he may have been baptised at All Saints or St. Nicholas, for example.
                                Thank you Mary, I never cease to be amazed at how very kind people are on this site. I only wish I could repay with some magical discovery myself. Is there some way I could get the marriage cert?

Chamfort

Comment

You can get overseas marriage certs from the GRO, but I was just looking at the instructions, and it sounds as though they may not show the parents' names.

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service - Frequently asked questions

Comment

There's nothing very magical about my local knowledge - I was brought up within a couple of miles of Belgrave, my great-grandparents were married there, and my parents were married at St. Margaret's

Comment

I thought it would need to be included in the Overseas Index if it is available from the GRO - I canĀ“t see this one listed in the index.
                                      Elaine

Comment

There's nothing very magical about my local knowledge - I was brought up within a couple of miles of Belgrave, my great-grandparents were married there, and my parents were married at St. Margaret's

Lol, well you're forebears must've known mine then Mary

Chamfort

Comment

Working...
                                        X