Legacy assistance please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy assistance please

I've just noticed I've added a daughter as a blue son some time ago and would like to change her back to a red daughter. As she has a spouse, children etc, the M/F option is greyed out on the edit details page.

I've looked through the help pages for ages, but I'm blowed if I can see a way to change her back to a female.

I'll add the embarrassed face here, in anticipation of being told I'm missing something blindingly obvious lol :o

Edit - I've just noticed that her husband has automatically been coloured red for female lol
    Last edited by Just Gillian; 27-10-08, 11:55.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Hi Gillian, Don't worry - I've done worse! I think the way I changed things around on this was to unlink the husband (make sure you know his RIN no or some way to identify him), then change her status to female (it shouldn't be greyed out now), then go back and relink the husband. He should then be blue.
    I was trying to remember if mine had children - I don't think they got unlinked to anyone in the process but just take a note of them in the first place!!!
    Hope this works
    Marion
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Hi Marion - thank you!!! I was just about to switch off and go to work so will try your method as soon as I come home. I was envisaging having to delete that whole family and start again!

(I wonder if Legacy will incorporate something to allow for those who may now have same-s*x marriages in their trees?)
      Gillian

Comment

If you go to family view of the father and mother select the daughters name( right click of mouse)and go to edit in the choices given it gives you option to change the sex over from M to F

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

An alternative solution

Hi Gillian,

Another way to do this is to bring up the 'mis-sexed' couple in the Family View, select Edit from the menu bar, and click on "Swap Husband and Wife". You'll get a warning that this will change the gender of the two individuals, but as this is your objective, go ahead and click on "OK". Quick and easy once you know how to do it.

I realize that you've already solved your problem by following Marion's advice, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Tim
          "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Alan - thank you, but as far as I can see I don't have an option to change F to M, or vice versa, when I go to edit, presumably because the people in question are married.

Tim - thank you. I shall remember that for future errors. I did, in the meantime, fix the problem with Marion's unlinking advice. I seem to have lost the marriage date and notes in the process, for some reason, but will keep an eye out in case they attached themselves to someone else!
            Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Cousin View Post
              Hi Gillian,

Another way to do this is to bring up the 'mis-sexed' couple in the Family View, select Edit from the menu bar, and click on "Swap Husband and Wife". You'll get a warning that this will change the gender of the two individuals, but as this is your objective, go ahead and click on "OK". Quick and easy once you know how to do it.

I realize that you've already solved your problem by following Marion's advice, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Tim
              I tried to do that once Tim and it literally swapped the husband and wife position - the husband was on the right hand side - so I had to swap them back. Perhaps something has changed since my last "stuff up". As far as I could see once they were in a relationship the choice of changing gender was completely grayed out which is why I ended up unlinking.
              Heavens knows what will happen with same sex marriages - none in my family (at this stage anyway!)
              Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                I tried to do that once Tim and it literally swapped the husband and wife position - the husband was on the right hand side - so I had to swap them back. Perhaps something has changed since my last "stuff up". As far as I could see once they were in a relationship the choice of changing gender was completely grayed out which is why I ended up unlinking.
                Heavens knows what will happen with same sex marriages - none in my family (at this stage anyway!)
                Marion
                Hi Marion,

That's odd - what version of Legacy are you using? I have 7.0.0.55 and it appears to be working correctly. The husband's and wife's names do switch positions and the 'gender select' button is grayed out, but when I check each individual's details, their genders have been changed as expected.

The only thing which doesn't seem to correct automatically is if you've previously used "Set Relationships" (from the Tools menu) - you'll need to run it again so that the female half of the couple doesn't show up as a father/uncle/grandfather etc... (and vice versa for male partner).

HTH -

Tim
                "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Hi Tim,
                  Yes, have the same version as that now but I was either on 5 or 6 when I had the problem. I couldn't get past the idea of the female being on the left and the male on the right (creature of habit I suppose!) and I had no idea what else it may have done, so I turned it back again and then did the unlinking. I did it a couple of times - since then I have taken a lot more care when entering!!
                  Marion

Comment

Working...
                  X