Any opinions on this family please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions on this family please?

I would welcome observations and comments on this family (christian names, abode, etc) The surname is Green(a)way

Thanks

1841 census
    Class HO107 Piece 420 Book 9 Civil parish Michael Church Eskley, County Herefordshire, Enumeration district 8. Folio 4 Page 2 Line 18 gsu roll 288815
    Pam

Head-Josia ?(Pronounced JOSIRE) a Nailer

Comment

looks like josiah, karen/catherine, dunno, mary, bebra, and roseanna.

Comment

The correct place name, according to Genuki, is Michaelchurch Eskley:

GENUKI: Michaelchurch Eskley, Herefordshire

Comment

I think the names are Josia(h), ?, Thos., Mercy, Debora and Roseana.

The second one might be an attempt at Charmian/Charmaine.

Comment

The actual place they're living says "camp", and they're not born in county, so I wonder if they're gypsies, which would explain the unusual names.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-10-08, 08:34.

Comment

Thankyou for those opinions.
              The 50 year old woman is l think Catherine. Dont think they were gypsies, as such - more like hawkers (or is that the same thing lol). They were from Staffordshire, and she had left other children at home with relatives.
              Just cannot understand why they would be in a camp in the middle of nowhere (or so it seems). I cannot find her and a few of the others after that. (no death or re marriage)
              Pam

Comment

As a hawker she may not have been of Romany (gypsy) blood but would have led a similar lifestyle, travelling the countryside to sell her wares. Guess she couldn't find enough customers close to home so went further afield and set up camp wherever she could.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Josiah is a Biblical name. Thomas, Rosanna and Deborah are also not that unusual, its just they are spelt a bit ideosyncratically here.
                  Mercy was used as a girl's name quite a bit. Although it was Puritans who were keen on virtues as names, I have a few C of E ones - Temperance, Prudence & Charity, in my tree.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

you say you cant find them on any census after this? are any found after this?

Comment

are these yours?
                      Children of Joseph & Catherine

HENRY GREENWAY -
                      Gender: Male Christening: 30 APR 1831 Gornall, Stafford, England

2. MERCY GREENWAY -
                      Gender: Female Christening: 10 MAR 1833 Gornall, Stafford, England

THOMAS GREENWAY -
                      Gender: Male Christening: 17 JUN 1827 Gornall, Stafford, England

CAROLINE GREENWAY -
                      Gender: Female Christening: 03 MAY 1829 Gornall, Stafford, England
                      Jess

Comment

Yes Jess
                        Pam

Comment

Working...
                        X