How do I find IGI batch numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find IGI batch numbers?

I'm sure this has been asked before. But it didn't sink in as I didn't need to do it.

I want to do a search on Beechingstoke Wiltshire but it isn't on Hugh Wallis's site. How do I find the IGI batch numbers so I can search it myself?
    Kit

Not sure how up to date the Hugh Wallis site is but some parishes are not on the IGI anyway. If you don't manage to find it perhaps someone on the West Wilts yahoo genealogy group might be able to help (think your parish might fall under this)
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Beechingstoke PR transcripts are available from the Wiltshire FHS: Wiltshire Family History Society, Parish Registers
      Sarah

Comment

Also, Beechingstoke baptisms are available at FindMyPast and FamilyHistory Online. See your previous thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...registers.html
        Sarah

Comment

Sarah I'd forgotten about my other thread. lol But I would like to know to work out the batch numbers as there are other parishes I'm interested in that aren't on Hugh Wallis's site. I think it can be done as I'm sure I read about it before but I will go to FMP. I keep forgetting about the parish registers on there.
          Kit

Comment

Once you have found a record on the IGI you can click on the Batch Number to search for more records in that batch. Is that what you mean? See: Searching for BMD on the IGI - Family Tree Forum
            Sarah

Comment

If you do not have a name to search the IGI with, then another way of finding a batch is to put the name of the place (Beechingstoke) into the Library Tab (SEARCH PLACE NAME) on the LDS site.

This will bring up a list of all documents they hold which concern this place and will tell you if they have a parish register.

By clicking on it in the list, you should eventually find a batch number, if they have transcribed it to the IGI.

OC

Comment

No I mean is there a way to work out what batch numbers relate to a particular parish?
                Like Hugh Wallis has them listed for many parishes, however that list isn't complete.
                Kit

Comment

Yes, search for the place name in the Library, then click on "church registers" and it will give you a list of all curches covered.

You may have to drill down through film notes etc, to eventually find the batch numbers for each record.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. I've had a go. It's not that straightforward, is it? But I know I need to order the film for one parish.
                    Kit

Comment

OC - I've just tried that out using Langley Burrell as the place name. I've clicked on every link I can see but can only get the film number not the batch number

(I don't need the batch number - I just used Langley Burrell for a test piece.)
                      Gillian
                      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

If there isn't a batch number, it means the LDS haven't transcribed the PRs.

Comment

I can't find a batch number for Doddington, Cambridgeshire that way either, even though it is on the IGI and on Hugh Wallis. But entering the film number in the appropriate search box does bring it up the Doddington records, and of course the batch number can be gotten through them.
                          Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah - it hadn't occurred to me to try a search by film number. :o
                            Gillian
                            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

me neither until just then! :D
                              Sarah

Comment

Sorry, it IS difficult to describe how to do it, but basically you just have to keep drilling through the clicks till you find the information!

If there is no batch number, then as Mary says, they haven't transcribed the records.

OC

Comment

IGI numbers arranged in county order:

Counties in England

and Wales:

~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

*wonders how to tell Nell that's the Hugh Wallis site...*

OC

Comment

*sorry, have I misread the thread again ~ crawls away dejectedly into the corner*
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell!

Pull yourself together woman and come out of that corner right this minute!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X