19th C actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th C actors

One of the certificates I ordered has thrown a bit of a curve ball insofar as the bride's father's occupation is given as "actor". I know some of you have thespians in your trees - I was wondering if you have any advice for how to go about tracing them? My immediate searches have thrown up nothing much (maybe a possible marriage, that's all).

The marriage in question is John Burd to Eliza Prizeman on 1 October 1865 in St George the Martyr, Southwark. Bride's father is John Prizeman, groom's father Jesse Burd (which is another can of worms, but perhaps for another day)

I can't answer your Q about actors, but have you found them on the census? I hope Eliza isn't the one who says birthplace unknown in 1871? lol She and John Burd are both 28, sorry, I can't get back into Ancestry to post the ref!

Comment

in 1881 that Eliza Burd gives her birthplace as Southwark, aged 39

RG11; Piece: 530; Folio: 70; Page: 26

John is a Newsagent/newsvendor on both

Does that match with the marriage certificate?
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

She doesn't want to appear in 1851 :(

Comment

there's an Eliza Prigmore in 1851 living with what looks like a William Forres and wife Eliza, possibly a mistranscription but I'm not convinced

that's the closest I can get at the minute
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid she is the one with birthplace unknown in 1871 :( I don't know whether Southwark in 1881 was actually accurate or whether the enumerator just wanted to put anything down. I've not found her in 1861 or 1851 but I've got everything from then on; John Burd was a news vendor, which is borne out by the marriage cert. The info on the cert is as follows:

Octr 1 1865 at St george the Martyr, Southwark
            John Burd, age full, Bachelor, News Agent, Residence Great Union St, Southwark Bridge Road, Father Jesse Burd, engineer
            Eliza Prizeman, age full, Spinster no occ, Residence ditto, Father John Prizeman, Actor
            Witnesses William Henis and Sarah Ann Lawrence

I think the censuses suggest a birth date of around 1840 for Eliza. I found a marriage in Pallots for a John Prizeman to Elizth Rose in 1837 at St Alban Wood Street (along with other Prizeman marraiges for Sarah to William Rushmore (1833 St George in the East), James to Sarah Bennett (1835 St Marylebone) and Thomas to Caroline Leete (1836 St Pancras) who I imagine might be siblings, and John Prizeman to Ann Webb (1803 St Alban Wood Street) and George Prizeman to Sarah Crow (1804 Bloomsbury) who could possibly be father and uncle to John, grandfather/great uncle to Eliza. However I had no luck with any of them in IGI

Comment

I wonder who this is?

Births Sep 1840
              Prizeman Eliza St Geo Southw'k 4 373

Comment

Ah, that looks familiar, could be where I got the birth date of 1840 from... no way of knowing if it's the right one without the cert I suppose?

Comment

I've been trying to find that one on the 1841 census, but can't see her!

Comment

Who witnessed the marriage?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipemma View Post
                      Witnesses William Henis and Sarah Ann Lawrence

The names mean nothing to me

Comment

Oh dear... sorry! Totally missed that, somehow!

Comment

Ah, that looks familiar, could be where I got the birth date of 1840 from... no way of knowing if it's the right one without the cert I suppose?
                          Whether you get this cert or not might partially depend on whether Eliza is your reative, or her husband (unless they are your direct ancestors, in which case they both will be!) If Eliza is your relative, then even if this turns out to be the wrong cert it might help you to sort out part of the extended Prizeman family, which might, in the end take you to John.

Comment

Eliza and John are (or rather were) my great great grandparents. Useful tip about the circuitous route, though

Comment

I seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall on this one.

I ordered the birth certificate, which gives Eliza's parents as John Prizeman and Eliza Prizeman formerly Brown. I can't quite make out his occupation (could be Fellowship porter or purser? does that make any sense?).

However I can't find any marriage between John Prizeman and Eliza Brown either on Ancestry or on IGI, nor can I find them in the relevant censuses (1841, 51 or 61) - can anyone help?

Comment

However I can't find any marriage between John Prizeman and Eliza Brown either on Ancestry or on IGI, nor can I find them in the relevant censuses (1841, 51 or 61)
                                Update: have found a marriage for John Prizeman and Eliza Brown in 1844 - four years after Eliza was born - so will be ordering the cert, but still no luck on the census entries :(

Comment

Working...
                                X