Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer to FTM needs afew tips

First of all big hello to everyone.
    I have been researching a Benjamin Moffatt born 1856 my gggreatgrandfather. I can only find him on the census 1871 onwards nor can I find a birth. Ihave two marriage certs of his one for 1876 and the other for 1905 but the fathers names are different, John on the 1st and Benjamin on the 2nd. I have spent hours looking on the 1861 census with name variants etc but have come up with nothing, would love to know who his parents are.
    Hope someone can help with a few pointers
    Linda

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Can you give us a bit more information - do you have the census reference - or tell us where he was born and name of wife/children etc so that we can find him from 1871 onwards.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Can you give us a bit more information - do you have the census reference - or tell us where he was born and name of wife/children etc so that we can find him from 1871 onwards.
      Hi elaine
      thankyou for your help on the 1871 census he is bejamin moffat born in manchester living in preston, lancashire, he is 13 and a boarder living with a george pearson on this census on the 1881 he is with ann his wife and children sarah end elizabeth on the 1891 he is with harriot laraway, he had children to this lady but they died and on the 1901 he is with eliabeth charnley who he married in 1905 all in preston lancashire
      linda

Comment

Right found him in 1871 - just for info census ref is RG10; Piece: 4212; Folio: 39; Page: 5;

On the marriage certificates what does it give as occupation for the father.
        Elaine

Comment

hi on the 1st one john is a labourer on the 2nd benjamin the father also a labourer
          hope this helps
          linda

Comment

Originally posted by lindys View Post
            hope this helps
            Not a lot Lindy - but I'll have a look!
            Elaine

Comment

thanks elaine

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry which gives his parents as:
                Benjamin Muffat born Scotland c1801
                Ann Wright Gnosal Staffs c1813

I'll see if I can find them on a census to see if it helps
                Elaine

Comment

1861 census
                  RG9; Piece: 2636; Folio: 63; Page: 4
                  shows a Benjamin Moffat born 1855 Whitby Cheshire - parents Benjamin and Ann - which matches the Ancestry tree.
                  Elaine

Comment

hi elaine this is the one i thought matched but i was researching one of the brothers james i think, it was on the 1871 when i came acoss benjamin anoffat living in the same street as james that was in warwickshire, that is when all my work went out of the window
                    linda

Comment

I think you need to work backwards from what you definitely know until you get stuck.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

hi little nell been working backwards stuck on the 1861 and a birth
                        linda

Comment

The Benjamin Moffatt born 1801 Scotland, with wife Ann, gives an occupation of Carrier Clerk - not impossible that he may have changed to a labourer in later life but at the age of 50 I am not so sure.
                          Elaine

Comment

this is the family i have been working with for the last 12mnts then i found benjamin on the 1871 census under the spelling mistake anoffatt. the bejamin i have was in preston in 1871
                            linda

Comment

Have you contacted the submitter of the Ancestry tree - or is it yours?
                              Elaine

Comment

Reinforcing what Nell has said about working back from what you know -

Have you got documentary evidence for each person going backwards (death cert, marriage cert, birth cert) as well as a family group together on censuses going backwards? Unless you do this very carefully, there's a big risk that you pick a wrong person and start following the wrong family backwards. It's very easy to go wrong and we've all done it at least once.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  Have you contacted the submitter of the Ancestry tree - or is it yours?
                                  no i have,nt elaine never done thet before

Comment

hi uncle john
                                    got some certs evrything seems to tally
                                    linda

Comment

From what I can see Lindy has worked backed to the 1881 census where Benjamin Moffatt is married to Ann, children are James, Elizabeth and Sarah.
                                      She has the MC which gives father as John Moffatt, labourer (which doesn't tie in with a second MC she has which gives father as Benjamin, labourer)
                                      Benjamin gives his year and place of birth as 1856 Manchester.
                                      RG11; Piece: 4237; Folio: 6; Page: 5

Going back to the 1871 census she has found a Benjamin Moffat born 1858 Manchester, living with the Pearson family.
                                      RG10; Piece: 4212; Folio: 39; Page: 5

She needs to find Benjamin in 1861 and that's where the problem lies.
                                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-10-08, 15:49.
                                      Elaine

Comment

I would definitely contact the submitter of the tree - she/he is obviously working on the same Benjamin Moffatt as the marriages tie in which what you have said.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X