Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneology websites

Hi

I've just started out researching my family tree and am about a week into a free trial with ancestry.co.uk.
    So far I've found it quite useful but before I commit to parting with my cash I would like to hear what other people think about it, i.e. how does it compare to other websites/databases and are there any hidden catches?
    I have also discovered it has the facility to design a tree / book which they can then print for you. Has anyone tried this and did you like the final result?
    Many thanks!

If you are just starting on your family tree research then I would say Ancestry is the website you need, providing your ancestors are from England & Wales.
    Ancestry contains transcriptions and images of the 1841-1901 censuses, as well as useful information like BMDs, Army records, some parish registers etc.
    If you are researching Scottish ancestors then you would need Scotlands People.
    If you are researching Irish ancestors then ....... good luck!

Once you have exhausted things like BMDs and census findings then you could consider other sites such as FindmyPast and Family HistoryOnLine, which have parish records, burial indices etc - you can buy credits on these sites so no need to purchase a full annual subscription.

Don't forget as well free sites, such as Family Search - this has the International Genealogical Index (IGI) which covers some parish records.

Have a look in our wiki (reference library) by clicking on the link in the blue navigation bar. You will find loads of information there on the different types of websites, subscription and free, which are available.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry, forgot to say welcome to Family Tree Forum.

If you need any help or advice with your research then post a query on our Research Q&As forum
      Research Qs & As - Family Tree Forum
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Welcome to the forum. I've had the full Ancestry for over a year and I'm still finding things on it. I've also built my tree on it which is very useful, especially when you want to send an invite to a relative to view it. For me it's worth the money.

Comment

Ancestry UK is the one I wouldn't be without ... even if I'm not looking for myself, it's good to be able to help other people search.

Although the Scottish census images are not available, it does have the transcriptions.

Tribal Pages is good for building your tree

Build your Free Family Tree website easily and effortlessly

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

My first post! Hello to everyone. I found http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/home/
            very useful

Comment

Many thanks for all your help! I'll continue with ancestry.co.uk and take a look at genesreunited, FindmyPast and Family HistoryOnLine too.
              N.B. I am one quarter Belgium - I don't suppose anyone knows a good source of genealogical information from Belgium?!
              Thanks

Gareth

Comment

Gareth - have you checked out the links in our wiki (reference library)
                Belgium - Family Tree Forum
                Elaine

Comment

Hi Gareth,

This is a good site for online Belgian records: Digital Resources Netherlands and Belgium
                  Click on "Internet" under the relevant province in the menu on the left.

The site has both Dutch and Belgian records. The Belgian provinces are:
                  West-Vlaanderen (West Flanders)
                  Oost-Vlaanderen (East Flanders)
                  Antwerpen (Antwerp)
                  Vlaams Brabant (Flemish Brabant)
                  Limburg B (Belgian Limburg - not to be confused with Limburg NL which is Dutch Limburg)
                  Hainaut/Henegouwen
                  Brabant Wallon/Waals Brabant (Walloon Brabant)
                  Namur/Namen
                  Liège/Luik
                  Luxembourg Province
                  There are also records for Brussel/Bruxelles (Brussels)
                  Sarah

Comment

Thanks very much for the Belgium links.
                    Luckily I have found some good documents from my Belgium side which will help.
                    Cheers

Gareth

Comment

Working...
                    X