Death of a marine at sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of a marine at sea

As a result of a thread here I have now received a copy of my ancestors marine records. This of course has raised a whole heap of questions......

The records state that he died aboard the (HMS) Clio at Valparaiso in September 1867.
    I am assuming this is the Valparaiso in Chile - which according to google seems to have been an important sea port.
    How do I find a death certificate?

Would his widow have been entitled to any money if he died in service?

His record of service gives no details of where he was or which boat he was on from the time he enlisted (at the age of 12) to the time he died at the age of 35. Any suggestions as to why, or whether this information can be found elsewhere?
    Mny thanks for any help,
    J

He could be listed in the Overseas BMDs. Do you want to give us his name?
    Elaine

Comment

ooh thanks - William Pitt b. Chatham 1832.
      Overseas BMDs....... where are they? J

Comment

Overseas BMDs are available on Family Relatives and Findmypast

Unfortunately sometimes with the information given it is not possible to say whether it is the right one - but this seems to be the only possible entry.

GRO MARINE DEATHS INDICES (1846 to 1902) 1865 - 1870
        PITT Wm - page 152

You can order Overseas BMDs from the GRO - cost £7, same as a UK certificate
        Elaine

Comment

Daft question
          What would I use as a reference? Or would I have to spend £10?
          J

Comment

It should only cost you £7.
            The reference is what I have given you above - the name of the database and the page number.
            When you go onto the GRO website, click on Overseas certificate and you will see that the reference boxes are different to the normal ones.
            Elaine

Comment

Oh now that is interesting. One of the 2 records that I received was for William Alfred Levy, who according to the 1861 census, was aboard the Clio in Guaymas Harbour West Coast of Mexico! Sadly the page of his records which should show where he served, is blank, so I don't know how long he was on the ship for.

His older brother Robert Levy was lost at sea in 1858, I wonder if his death is listed there as well?
              Lynn

Comment

I'll check for you Lynn.
                Elaine

Comment

Can't see anything Lynn. Something at the back of my mind tells me that there was a different way of recording those "lost at sea" rather than "died at sea", if you see what I mean! In other words, if there was no body then there was no death certificate.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine;)

Comment

Thanks Elaine

Jane, do your mans records show how long he was aboard the Clio? it would be interesting to know if he was aboard at the same time as William
                      Lynn

Comment

Working...
                      X