Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian Prize Fighters

One of my ancestors has stumped me. :(

My great great grandfather was called Charles Hemmings or Emmings. From his marriage certificate he was a Brick Layer born in London. I've found him on the 1901 census and this confirms this. However, here's the problem.

Very little is known of him before he married my great great grandmother. My great grandfather believed he had been a prize fighter in Cambridge and was the Southern Champion. He may have been married before and it is believed he killed someone and changed his name to evade the law. Years ago my great grandfather tried to research him but failed but for some reason he thought his name may have been Wayman but I dont know why.

Now his father on the marriage cert is Elijah Emmings and is a Gentleman. This lead hasn't got me anywhere so the only thing I can go on is prize fighting records (if there are any).

Can anyone think of anything I can do to research this?

Cheers
    Hail Spode!

Hi Guy, welcome to FTF

Is that him in 1901 as Hemmings, aged 40, married to Alice and with children Harry and Martha Caroline? (just to be sure we are all looking at thesame person! lol)

Comment

Yes well done!
      Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome too. I cant believe how quickly you found that. It took me at least an hour to find that a few months ago.
        Hail Spode!

Comment

It's probably too much practice!

Trouble is, if he changed his name, everything written about his boxing exploits (if anything) will be in the old name. I had a very quick look at Elijah Hemmings/Emmings/Wayman without generating anything useful.

I think if I were more awake that would be helpful, so I'll leave this for others to think about for now!

*remembers to put the clocks back*

Comment

From FreeBMD:

Marriages Dec 1856
            Brand Rebecca Cambridge 3b 1167
            Hemmings Emma Cambridge 3b 1167
            Wayman Elijah Cambridge 3b 1167
            Young John Cambridge 3b 1167

Comment

Ancestral File has an Elijah Wayman born abt 1831 in Histon, Cambridge, parents John Wayman and Eliza Fletcher.
              Last edited by Little Nell; 26-10-08, 00:31.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

RG9; Piece: 1027; Folio: 48; Page 7

Elijah and Emma are in Cambridge St Giles at the Sailors Home. Elijah is a labourer. Their children are Julia 9, Caroline, 6 and Charles aged 4.

All these children would appear to have been born before the marriage of Elijah and Emma.
                Last edited by Little Nell; 26-10-08, 00:36.

Comment

RG10; Piece: 735; Folio: 49; Page 19
                  Now living in Camberwell, Surrey, Elijah is a labourer (bricklayer).
                  Charles is an errand boy.
                  Last edited by Little Nell; 26-10-08, 00:39.

Comment

1881 now in Mile End Old Town
                    RG11; Piece: 473; Folio: 127; Page 34, Elijah is a park keeper.

Charles has a separate house in Bethnal Green, he is married to Sarah, b. Limehouse, and they have a 3 year old son Charles born in Bethnal Green. Charles is working as a bricklayer and Sarah is a tailoress.
                    RG11; Piece: 418; Folio: 93; Page 8
                    Last edited by Little Nell; 26-10-08, 00:42.

Comment

The Cambridge marriage index confirms that Elijah Wayman married a Hemmings:

Marriages

Comment

Wow!! Thank you so much!! :D I think this is probably him. I've just found this too
                        Re: Elijah Wayman &John Wayman/1830/Cam,Eng. so other people are related to this fella as well.

This has been doing my head in for months! Is see Charles is on the census too. So old Harry Hemmings was right. I wonder how he found out about the wayman connection?
                        Hail Spode!

Comment

Hello Guy and welcome to FTF

1891 Bethnal Green Elijah is a carman (transcribed Elizah)
                          RG12 Piece: 268 Folio 13 Page 20
                          Gillian
                          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

If the 1901 Charles is the same as the Charles Wayman I've found, then he also changed his age and birthplace.

But its interesting that the Charles I found doesn't appear in 1891 or 1901.

Comment

IGI has a marriage for Charles Wayman and Sarah Carter at St. Matthew, Bethnal Green, 1st April 1877.

Comment

Possible death for first wife
                                Sarah Wayman age 33 [abt 1859] 1892 Jan-Feb-Mar Mile End Old Town1c Page:435

Comment

Marriage 1889 Jun Fulham 1a p.426
                                  >>Charles Hemmings
                                  >>Alice Bamsey
                                  Minnie Eliza Harrison
                                  Rich Thomas Walker

Comment

Hmm that is interesting. I suppose you would lie about your place of birth and age if you'd killed someone. If only I could find out if Charles Wayman was a boxer then it would all tally.

My family always believed Wayman to be a gypsy name. Now I'm not being racist but I'd imagine that would fit if he was a gypsy?
                                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Possible births for Caroline and Charles. Haven't found Julia yet (although there is a Julian).

Births Mar 1855
                                      Hemmings Caroline Cambridge 3b 457

Births Mar 1857
                                      Wayman Charles Cambridge 3b 497

There are 2 or 3 possible Wayman births for Charles, but no likely Hemmings birth, so I would guess he was legitimate, but later used his mother's surname for some reason.

Possible baptism for Emma:

Year / Surname / Forenames / Age / Abode / Parents / Parish
                                      1834 / EMMINS / Emma / - / King St. / d. of Charles & Naomi / Camb. Holy Trin.

Cambridgeshire Family History Society - Baptism Index 1801-37 Search

Comment

I know Alice was Alice Galley as I've got the Galley tree going way back to swanage c1700 which is odd as I live near swanage through luck.
                                        Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
                                        X