Newcomer Looking for Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer Looking for Advice

I have recently been researching my family tree in the last couple of weeks. I have registered with Ancestry.com which has been extremely helpful although I have come to a bit of a halt. Can anyone recommend any similar sites which are as easy to navigate?
    Thank you.

Hi Sly, Welcome to FTF

It all depends what you are looking for which are the "best" sites to use.

Maybe you cold tell us what sort of date you are trying to find records and in what country, or post up a specific problem and we will try to help you.

Comment

this is the best site for help,and a very warm welcome brenda xxx

Comment

Evening Sly

Welcome to FTF,
        I use a variety of sites including Ancestry.

Family search is invaluable although you should always check its accuracy regarding submitted entries.
        The Hugh Wallis site which allows you to search the IGI by parish.

Always google too. Its amazing what you can find by googling

Allie
        Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Hi Sly,
          If you have paid for a subscription to ancestry then I wouldn't recommend you subscribe to any other similar sites because there is not going to be much on them that isn't on ancestry - most allow you to buy pay-as-you-go credits if you want to look at a few things. There are Family Relatives, findmypast, The Genealogist which all cover BMD's and the last two of these also have most of the censuses, Scotland's People for Scottish stuff, Family History Online which has lots of Parish Register entries etc. and British Origins which has a few censuses and quite a lot of London stuff.

But it could well be that there is lots more on ancestry which you haven't managed to find. If you post up some of the problems you are stuck on then maybe we can help you with them.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
            this is the best site for help,and a very warm welcome brenda xxx
            Ah - that's really nice to hear. I think I'm gonna enjoy this research - it's a whole new world for me.

Comment

Hi Sly, and welcome.

If you click on "The Wiki" at the top of this page, you'll find lots of useful reference information.

Comment

Welcome to the site Sly you will find them all very helpful and friendly, hope you enjoy it ;;;
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hello Sly

Welcome to FTF! Has anyone warned you how addictive this hobby is? For most of us, anyway, other things which used to seem important have gradually slipped down in the List of Priorities! But you should find lots of friendly folks here.

As has been said: post up your problem (avoiding naming living names, of course) and you'll find a whole lot of people will be trying to solve your problem for you.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Welcome Sly....I am also fairly new to FTF...I have found the people on here to be wonderfully knowledgable and helpful.

Comment

welcome Sly...you wil find with experience that this site is by far the best for help with your research...the members are very experienced and helpful...the first thing I would advise is NEVER feel as though any question is too stupid to ask...we all started where you are now...and we`ve all been as green as grass...so just ask any question for help....you will be amazed at the quick responses to you queries.....when I first started I used to get confused with all the abbreviations members use...lol(laughs out loud) btw (by the way) oh(other half)etc....so have fun and let us know who and where they`re from you are researching....good luck...allan;););)
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                      X