Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does any of this make sense?

X is born in 1919

In 1940 he is registered as a conscientious objector on condition that he does work as prescribed by the Ministry of Works.

In 1948 he is in the Army, stationed at Schleswig-Holstein.

In the 60's he is a Quaker.

In the 60's until now he is a staunch right-winger and a rascist?

Sorry, probably another of my impossible questions!
    Joan died in July 2020.

in 1948 could it have been national service?

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Thanks Alan - I don't know!! Shortly after he was registered as a CO he fled to Jersey, I assume in order to avoid his "punishment" - whether he would subsequently be called up I have no idea!
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Well its entirely possible that someone could change their opinions and often very strong extremists can become extremists in another direction. Oswald Mosley, leader of the British Union of Fascists, was originally a Conservative MP but became an Independent Labour MP, before founding the BUF.

Quakers are pacifists, so that's entirely compatible with being a Conscientious Objector.

But I do think it unlikely that a Quaker would be a right-wing extremist, it does seem to be completely against the egalitarian beliefs Quakers hold.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell - what makes it even stranger is that this person himself is possibly of Caribbean extract. I just can't make sense of it. When I was a young child he took me within the space of a year to hear Enoch Powell delivering one of his obnoxious "Rivers of blood" speeches in Birmingham and also to Quaker meetings.

It just doesn't make sense
          Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 25-10-08, 16:19.
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Joan

Maybe he wanted to expose you to different ideas so you could make your own judgment. Or perhaps it was free entertainment?

Comment

Thanks Nell - I had wondered that... but he was always such an avid rascist....
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Muggins

29 was a tad old to be doing National Service, I think, but maybe that was a condition of his return from Jersey? (Prison or National Service, laddie).

The Army in Schleswig-Holstein in 1948 was a peace-keeping corps of course, so maybe he could square his conscience that way? Does his rank give any indication whether he was a career soldier or not?

Of course, if this is the double agent man, then "pretending" to be a Quaker would be a very good cover, wouldn't it?

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - that is very helpful don't know about his rank - all I know is his marriage cert in 1948 says "stationed at Schleswig Holstein"

BTW this is not the double agent man - this is the other side of my family - each side seems to be as complicated as the other - and sometimes they seem so similar!!
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Out of interest, what happened to British men of working age in occupied Jersey?

Jackie
                    Jackie

Comment

Ooops - sorry!

Of course, if he sat the war out in Jersey, he may have come back with a very different view of things, still a pacifist but not averse to dealing out justice to Nazi extremists.

Ummmm...suspicious old me....do you have any independent evidence that he was actually in the Army and stationed at Schleswig-Holstein?

OC

Comment

Hi Jackie - I know that this one was working in a bookshop! All non-Jersey nationals were supposed to be deported, but the story is that he missed the last boat and spent a lot of time hiding from the Germans -
                        just remembered I wrote an article about it for the mag! - Caroline's Family History Pages - The Liberation of the Channel Islands
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Ooops - sorry!

Of course, if he sat the war out in Jersey, he may have come back with a very different view of things, still a pacifist but not averse to dealing out justice to Nazi extremists.

Ummmm...suspicious old me....do you have any independent evidence that he was actually in the Army and stationed at Schleswig-Holstein?

OC

Hi OC - no I don't have independent evidence - only what is written in the marriage cert - I recall looking once and found nothing.
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Perhaps he was in charge of the army stores or something like that, and not actually a soldier who would be involved in armed combat.

Comment

I believe that many COs were sent to be Stretcher Bearers or do similar non-combative works.
                              Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                                Hi Jackie - I know that this one was working in a bookshop! All non-Jersey nationals were supposed to be deported, but the story is that he missed the last boat and spent a lot of time hiding from the Germans -
                                just remembered I wrote an article about it for the mag! - Caroline's Family History Pages - The Liberation of the Channel Islands
                                Thanks for that - I've just read it. Very interesting

Jackie
                                Jackie

Comment

There are the ID cards on the Jersey Heritage Trust site, but whether he'd be included as a non- Jerseyean (that doesn't sound right but I don't know what the word is!) and anyway if he was in hiding, all the more reason not be be included!
                                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

RAMC ? They didn't carry weapons - my Dad told wonderful tales of being posted on sentry duty and having to challenge "unknowns", whilst being unarmed and therefore unable either to defend himself or to pose any real threat.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                                      Thanks Nell - what makes it even stranger is that this person himself is possibly of Caribbean extract. I just can't make sense of it. When I was a young child he took me within the space of a year to hear Enoch Powell delivering one of his obnoxious "Rivers of blood" speeches in Birmingham and also to Quaker meetings.

It just doesn't make sense
                                      Often the people with something to hide can be the most rabid. Some of the most outspoken and nastily anti-gay people I know are also the most camp.
                                      Christine
                                      Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
                                      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Chris, I was about to say the same thing before I read your post, I totally agree. A neighbours hubby said the most horrendous things about gay men but then ran off with a fella.......

Being racist is nothing about colour or race you can be any colour or race bit still be racist against other races. I've known of second generation mixed race, carrabeian/english who have joined the BNP..... go figure....

Comment

Working...
                                        X