Is this likely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this likely?

Just received the birth cert for my GGGrandmother Ann Rogers.
    She was born in Whixhall in 1843, father William a labourer and mother Susanna nee Dale.

There is a marriage in 1839 in the Wem district of Shropshire of Susannah Dale and a William Rogers is also on the same page so that seems to be the right one. I shall be ordering this one.

I've been trying to go back a little further today to find out more about Susanna Dale.
    From the 1841 she is said to be 27, living with hubby William and son Maurice? aged 2 months and born in the county of Shropshire

I have looked for a baptism for her c 1814 and giving a range of 10 years.
    There is only one coming up...Susan Dale baptised in Berrington Shropshire in 1813, mother Mary, no father on record.

I checked to see if there were any other Dale baptisms in Berrington with Mary as a mother and two more are listed, William in 1820 and Anne in 1823. Again no Father mentioned.

I know that the workhouse was based in Berrington which seems to be where Susanna was born, but was it likely for someone to have three children in there over a 10 year span?
    I've never researched this area before so I'm pretty clueless on it

Allie
    Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

I don't know about likely but certainly plausible.

Until you find a little more about Mary then all you can do is speculate but i wouldn't be suprised if she were working in some capacity somewhere and found herself at the workhouse around the time of the births.

Perhaps any income she earned would not cover the cost of her growing family and she couldn't place the children with anyone, (either family or friends) as a nurse child.

Then again, i could be on the wrong track completely......and not for the first time either:o
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Look for Bastardy Orders!

If her illegitimate children were born in the workhouse, then the Overseer would have issued a Bastardy Order against the reputed father (s).

I have exactly this scenario - three illegitimate children born in the workhouse (in five years!) and I found the Bastardy Orders relating to each one of them. Most informative.

Good luck.

OC

Comment

Thanks Glen, OC

Why do the children have to be off school this next week!!!
        I shant be able to get to the Archives until at least next Saturday :(

I've never looked for bastardy orders before so that will be interesting

Allie
        Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Comment

I knew OC would have something useful to add, all those years spent in dusty archives pay dividends somewhere along the line.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Some counties have the Bastardy Orders indexed on A2A but I don't know whether Shropshire is one of them - worth a try, anyway?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Unmarried women often used the workhouse for the birth of their babies if their families were disgusted with them. ("Never darken my doors again! You are no daughter of mine!")

If they HAD no family at all, then the workhouse was the only place to get free medical assistance for a birth. They were usually tipped out after a week or so, and after the baptism of the baby.

In my case, the Bastardy Orders led me to a series of removal orders for the same woman and they painted a vivid picture of the mother's life in a few words.

OC

Comment

Thanks Kiterunner, OC,

I've checked A2A and the Shropshire Archives online seach facility but neither are coming up with anything.

Hoping i'll find something when I visit the Archives next week

Allie

Comment

Working...
                X