Attempted Murder on the railway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted Murder on the railway

I am looking for information on a Sidney Horsfall who in 1931 or early 1932 attempted to murder his girlfriend Phyllis Parker on the railway line in Bare just outside Morecambe Lancashire. Sidney and Phyllis never married and he attempted to kill her because she was pregnant (with my wife’s dad). It was quite a big case at the time; however at the moment I am drawing blanks as to who she was and who he was etc. My wife’s dad would rather not talk about them so unfortunately we cannot ask him. So any help would be appreciated.
    Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
    https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
    searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Is there nothing in Newspaper Archives of the time?
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Oh, I'm so slow on the uptake.....I suppose these people may still be alive, so I shuld really email you the cutting, and delete it from here.

EDIT: I've deleted the cutting which was from 8th June 1931 from The Times Online Digital Archive. If you need it from me, please send me a pm and I'll email it to you if you give me your email address.
      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 25-10-08, 14:38.

Comment

I would suggest you try the Morecambe Visitor newspaper and see if they got anything in their archives (Morecambe Bay News, Sport, Holidays and Morecambe Hotels) I would have thought that prior to going to crown court there would have been a hearing in Morecambe Magistrates court and a know for a fact that the "Visitor" reports everything that went on in there.
        L

Comment

There are 3 reports in the Manchester Guardian about the trial and sentencing which I can send if you PM me your email address.

Jackie
          Jackie

Comment

I know for a fact that at least one of these people are dead, as far as Sidney goes no idea what happened to him. I have received a copy of the cutting from the Times from a rival site:o am I still welcome;)
            Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
            https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
            searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

If you're a member of Lancashire Library service, have a look at this link:
              Online Reference Library

You may be able to get all you need for free, without troubling your conscience, or anyone else's! ;)

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Of course you are Rob!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Rob

This site has no rivals.

FTF is quite simply THE BEST, lol.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Rob

This site has no rivals.

FTF is quite simply THE BEST, lol.

OC
                    Quite Right, OC !! ;)

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, I can't believe I didn't spot that straight away. This site is the non-pareil of family history sites.

Accept no substitutes.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X