Three cheers for Hammersmith Council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three cheers for Hammersmith Council

I emailed them on Wednesday asking if they had a Photo of a relatives house in the early 1900s well I was gob smacked today to receive not one but two Photos one c1900 the other c1973 and no charge.
    The wonderful thing too is there are a few people in the 1900s one and I so would love to know one of them is mine .
    So three cheers for them.

Val

Councils often get a bad name for bureaucracy, slowness and jobsworths, so its good to hear this.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I must say Nell this is the best response ever, I had almost forgotten I had emailed them.
      Going to ring and thank them on Monday.

Comment

That really is good - and kind, too. It's also good to be able to read about it having happened - thanks.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sometimes it's just luck - bored council employee, tussling with some abstruse end of month target figures and personal performance statement, jumps on your request with delight and makes a good two day diversion out of it!

Daren't charge you because he's not really supposed to do it.....

Nice result!

OC

Comment

yes Christine it does give you hope when you get something nice happening like this.
            Well I dont care how bored he or she was OC I'm just delighted now for some bored workers at Islington lol

Comment

Val

I have been lucky on several occasions in finding a bored employee, who has gone to extraordinary lengths for me, usually for little or no charge.

Makes up for all those times they want to charge you £30 before they'll tell you whether they have any information or not...

OC

Comment

what would you suggest is the best day of the week for boredom OC ????

Comment

Check out the Islington museum Val Islington Museum

I love their on line collecton of pictures!

But I would say as well as thinking the archive people, drop a line to the council member in charge of the archives too. In this time of the credit crunch it is likely the first place that is going to get trimmed of staff and resources. It's always worth giving people prise who can use it to improve or preserve precious services to us that others may think are all frills and not needed.

Comment

thanks peppie , will thank them when I ring.

Comment

Val

LOL! Haven't a clue, but Friday probably not a good day, too near the weekend.

I have found it pays to dress the request up as a fascinating mystery. This technique has had several local Registrars eating out of my hand in the past (although not lately, it must be said).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        thanks peppie , will thank them when I ring.
                        Now that acknowledgment point has been raised... worth making sure that your email shows how impressed you are - they can print that off, while your phonecall, though it will be appreciated, is more ephemeral.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

umm OC shall wait till mid week maybe , and I can colour it up somewhat.
                          Thats a good idea too Christine will do.

Comment

Working...
                          X