Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh NO-Ancestry problem AGAIN!! - UPDATE

I can't believe it - I shall go nuts.
    I haven't had Ancestry since June, until yesterday when I subscribed again.
    I had forgotten about a logging off problem I had in the past but sure enough it's back again. It plagued me for months and contacting Ancestry was no help at all. I finally managed to crack it somehow but I have no idea how and in the process I acquired a pop up window. After that I had to press yes everytime I wanted to look at a photo. Imagine the problems I had on Photobucket with that one :(

I can't be the only person who has this problem surely?

When I try to close the Ancestry tab it just doesn't close down (I can't get back into it though, even if I wanted to, it's just the tab that stays) and it keeps locking everything up until I have to control,alt,delete to close everything down and start again.

Right at this moment I am regretting having Ancestry again. I went a whole month once without going on it because the problem got on my nerves so much.

ANY advice please?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I don't have the first problem but I have had the frozen tab problem. I find that happens if I have ancestry open too long. But I haven't had the problem for a while now.
    Kit

Comment

Oh thanks Kit. Well at least it gives me something to work on. I wonder if it's because I tend to have a few tabs open at once and leave Ancestry for a while? Perhaps I only got the problem after I went onto IE7, before that I didn't have tabs along the top at all

Comment

Chrissie - are you using Norton?
        Elaine

Comment

I use Norton Elaine so it will be interesting to see if Chrissie does too. I also have IE7.
          Kit

Comment

Are you on auto login?

I often use Rootschat and i can go through all the threads without a problem, but if i want to reply to a thread i have posted to before, or add to a thread i started then i'm suddenly appearing as a guest, asked to login in or register..........but i'm still logged in and have a green light on next to my name. Not every time i hasten to add, but it can be pretty frequent on certain days.

Apparently it is cookies, the only way i can get round it is to search the site and get into the thread that way, for some reason it works that way but not by going directly to the thread.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Just found this which suggests that Norton add-ons should be disabled.

Ancestry.com freezes my computer - alt.genealogy | Google Groups
              Elaine

Comment

Another Norton/Ancestry link:

Ancestry - Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus - Norton Community
                Elaine

Comment

Oh, sorry everyone - I got a phone call.
                  This all looks promising. I must read it all properly - back in a mo

Comment

Oh Elaine - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I owe you an orange at Christmas (Do you know that saying :D)

I have run off those comments and am going to show them to hubby but, that second one particularly looks promising. I think even I can understand that one

p.s. Yes, I am on Norton.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      I owe you an orange at Christmas (Do you know that saying :D)
                      Never heard of it - but if you insist can I have one of those fattening chocolate ones! ;)
                      Elaine

Comment

Lol Elaine - milk or plain? :D

Comment

Can't make up my mind - better send one of each!
                          Elaine

Comment

Actually the dark chocolate mint ones are the nicest !

;):D

Joanie

Comment

It would a bit greedy expecting Chrissie to send me three! ;)
                              Elaine

Comment

It may not Elaine - you seem to have solved my problem. I hope the others who said they were having a problem read this - maybe I should ask you to add UPDATE to the thread.

I took the advice about upgrading my Norton to version 2009 and it's done the trick.

Thank you again - 3 oranges in the post *won't they have melted by the time they get there* :D:D

Comment

I think we've had a few threads on "Computer Help" about the same problem and it always seems to be Norton.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                  X