Outgoing passenger lists......increasingly confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outgoing passenger lists......increasingly confused

A few months ago while Ancestry were having one of their freebies, I found my great uncle and his "wife" and son of the SS Winifredia on 19th Sept 1912 going to New York.

I saved the image and that is correct. George Newey (transcribed as Nervey) wife Sarah and son George.

I found George and son returning later that year without Sarah on the new Ancestry incoming lists.

Now I'm really confused.

I have paid for a months sub on find my past to search for more outgoing lists.
    Put in the SS Winifredia for 1912. Get the same date 19th Sept. All I get in Mr, Mrs and Miss M Newey going to Boston not New York and it says they are US citizens.

It's a totally different list but the same ship, same date.
    Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 25-10-08, 08:39.

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
    A few months ago while Ancestry were having one of their freebies, I found my great uncle and his "wife" and son of the SS Winifredia on 19th Sept 1912 going to New York.
    The entry you found on Ancestry is probably this one:

George Nervey
    Arrival Date: 29 Sep 1912
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    Ship Name: Winifredian
    Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
    Elaine

Comment

Comparing the names on both lists it is obviously the same ship. I presume the FMP record is a simple embarkation list (badly recorded!) whereas the Ancestry one is the ship's manifest.
      Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, but it's the 19th Sept 1912 not 29th

Here it is

Just cropped it a bit

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 25-10-08, 09:00.

Comment

Well it's well and truly confusing me.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've wasted my money on a month sub to FMP if this is all I'm going to get.

How can a 4 year old boy called George turn into a girl called Miss M Newey? The Ancestry one correctly records them as English, whilst the FMP one says they are American

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Is one the departure date and the other the arrival date?
            Elaine

Comment

If it helps Margaret I have my great grandparents leaving England but they never arrived from India in order to leave.
              Kit

Comment

Margaret it would appear there is a mistranscription and the lists are 2 separate lists although for the same voyage. I wouldn't worry, if this is the worst thing that happened to George he had a good life.
                Kit

Comment

You're not alone in being confused Margaret!! I'm doing some research for a friend with ancestors from India and have had initials change, but birth dates the same. Also, nationalities change, just to add to the fun.

I can symapthise with you too Kit, as I've had arrivals in the UK or India (via the Cape or Mozambique), but can't find the departures to tie in with them.

Happy days!!

Gwyn
                  Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Thank you for all of your comments

Comment

Working...
                    X