Familyseach.org same as LDS ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familyseach.org same as LDS ???

Why have I got it in my head that familysearch.org is the same as LDS was it once or am I just going quietly mad ???
    I have not used it for ages and when I just looked up a name on Familysearch was surprised to be taken to a link with Findmypast ???

Well that makes two of us because i thought it was the same as LDS.
    Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

It is the same. I've just done a search there, and it didn't link to FindmyPast.

Comment

Maybe you mean Family History Online? Some of their parish records are now on FindMyPast.

Comment

FamilySearch Record Search

click on that link then on Esther Joel 1841 census record then view image it took me straight to findmypast

Comment

Yes, FamilySearch does belong to the LDS church, and yes, they have linked up with Findmypast for some of the census searches. I think they are also linked up with ancestry for some of the US censuses.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thank goodness Kite wondered what was happening??? but I dont see why I have to go on findmypast for the 1841 UK census ?????

Comment

Familysearch.org is the website for the LDS.
                What is possibly confusing you is that in July the LDS joined forces with findmypast.com, The Origins Network, and Intelligent Image Management to provide better access to certain groups of records.

There is a press release on the LDS website at
                FamilySearch.org - News
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

thanks Guy so if I go to the link I have to pay to look at census records .

Comment

The only free English census on familysearch has always been the 1881, on the old familysearch.org site.

Comment

Yes, as far as I am aware the index is free but one pays to view the "original" image.
                      Cheers
                      Guy

Comment

may as well look it up on ancestry then as I have a subscription for that.
                        Thanks again Guy

Comment

FreeCEN has quite a lot of 1841 too. Oops, just realised they don't have images! Silly me!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

I am bad Kite I sort of get carried away with ancestry and forget about the other sites available
                            I am still trying to find the birth of my Great Great Grandmother???
                            found her burial and finally have her death cert , but its confused me even more .
                            Last edited by Guest; 24-10-08, 23:50.

Comment

Think we'll have to look at that one tomorrow, Val, after a good night's sleep!
                              KiteRunner

Comment

think not Kite , think I'll give it a break till after I have gone to the Cemetary next week hopefully to see a few burials I have found recently, including hers.

Comment

Possibly but the idea is that more fields are going to be included in the index.
                                  This will allow the more difficult entries to be located by using different search criteria.

An added bonus is research at a Family History Center will include free downloads of the original images.
                                  Cheers
                                  Guy

Comment

thats good to know thanks for that Guy much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                    X