where do I look next please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do I look next please

Can I have you opinions please, and suggestions too. Sorry to be so long wnded.

The story so far.......

I have tracked the Presley family back using the online IGI records and the BIVRI indexes on Ancestry (are the England and Wales Christen ing REcords1530 - 1906 the same as the BIVRI cos thats what I mean) to a marriage of John Presley and Mary Cooper on24 December 1728 at Cuckney, Nottinghamshire (batch M054142 )

A submitted entry suggests that John's parents were Edward and Elizabeth, and that John's age at marriage was 23

Batch no C047292 gives a number of children born between 1694 and 1710 in Cuckney with father Edward, however there is no John included.

I can't find a record of a marraige for Edward and ELizabeth.

There is however a baptism for an Edward on the BIVRI (ancestry version) in Cuckney on 22 Nov 1668, who would appear to be about the right age and in the right area to be the father of John above.

It does raise another question though. This Edward is given as the son of Houmfrey Presley acording to the BIVRI. Houmfry Presley is not mentioned on any other records, and alll other baptisms of Presley's in Cuckney around that time give a differnt father's name. So was Edward an only son

Thanks for looking
    Barbara

John Pressley was baptised 26 Feb 1705 at Cuckney father was Edward Pressley (from BIVRI discs) records are taken from BTs.
    Heather

Comment

If you can wait a week or so, Barbara, then I can go into the Notts Archives and look it up for you - I love looking at the Norton Cuckney PR's!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Houmphrey Presley married Elizabeth Smith 16 May 1665 Cuckney and I can only find the one child for Houmphrey.
        Heather

Comment

Thank you for those Heather, that seems to match the bits I had found too.

Kate - I can certainly wait that long Thank you very much for the kind offer. Is there any particular reason you like the Norton Cuckney PR's?

These Presley's are direct ancestors of both my FIL and MIL, which makes for a nicely tangled tree
          Barbara

Comment

Quite likely that Edward and Elizabeth married in Elizabeth's home parish, but you might find banns book for Cuckney giving dates.

As for Houmphrey (prob. meant to be Humphrey), he may have been an only child as his mother may have died in childbirth, or both parents died of disease in his infancy.

You'd need to check the burials register to see if you can piece this together.

PS Have you found out that Elvis is still alive? (sorry,couldn't resist)
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
              Is there any particular reason you like the Norton Cuckney PR's?
              Only because there are lots of my ancestors in there. But some pages are very difficult to make out and sometimes you have to look at both PR's and BT's to try to work out what it says. Anyway, I'll see what I can find after half-term - if you don't hear from me, give me a nudge!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post

PS Have you found out that Elvis is still alive? (sorry,couldn't resist)

If you try googling I think you'll find he probably still is He makes a general search very nearly impossible as there are so many thousands of hits.

Thanks for the other comments though.

Kate- thanks for the comments and thanks again for the offer.

By the way I had a wander round Cuckney churchyard a couple of weeks ago. While some stones are very well preserved most are made from the local pink limestone and have eroded so badly names are completely impossible to see. The whole graveyard has been allowed to revert to nature, with the grass in general only being kept slightly trimmed by a flock of sheep.
                Barbara

Comment

Okay, I spent a couple of hours looking through the PR's, BT's and a quick look at the transcribed volume they have for most of the 17th century, but of course I ran out of time so there is still a lot to look up in there!

I couldn't see the John Presley / Mary Cooper marriage, but I did see that an Edward, son of John, was baptised soon after the date you gave for that, which looks good for John being the son of an Edward.

Also the only John Presley baptism I could see any time around 1705 was the one mentioned above in this thread, but this shows the importance of not relying on the IGI alone:
                  Christenings 1705
                  Feb 26 John son of Edward Presley Junr.

The BT's and PR's both say junr, and the BT page actually has Edward Presley listed among the church wardens for that year (he "made his mark") so I doubt if it would be a mistake. Also in 1710 (May 3) there is a Jane daughter of Edward Presley junr. But some of the other children baptised before and after John don't have the "junr" bit, so I'm not certain which Edward they belong to! But at least we know John was the son of Edward junr.

So it looks as if you can rule out that Edward who was the son of Houmfrey. This one looks like yours:
                  Christenings 1681 Edward son of Edward Pressley bapts. May the Fifth.

Other children of Edward:
                  Margaret March 17 1670
                  Mary Oct 6 1672
                  William Aug 1 1675 - buried Feb 9th 1682
                  Ann July 14 1678
                  Elizabeth Nov 12 1680
                  (then your Edward jr May 5th 1681)
                  Mary Oct 21 1694 (daughter of Edward & Elizabeth)
                  Ann Nov 8 1697 (daughter of Edward & Elizabeth)
                  Elizabeth Aug 20 1699 (daughter of Edward and Eliz)
                  Ann Aug 9 1701 - only saw this in the PR's but couldn't see it in the BT's. Same for a burial of Ann, wife of Edward Presley Jul 6 1701.
                  Barbara Dec 5 1703
                  (then your John, son of Edward Presley junr, Feb 26 1705)
                  Anne Aug 3 1708
                  Jane May 3 1710 (daug of Edward Presley junr)
                  William Sep 29 1713

Couldn't find any Edward marriages to help sort this lot out, unfortunately. But of course some of the pages are difficult to make out and if you go and look for yourself you might give yourself more eyestrain on your own behalf than I would looking them up for you! But also, there might be more on the IGI that will help now we know Edward's father was Edward, so hopefully we can find some stuff on there before either of us has to strain our eyes some more...

Oh, I should add variations of the surname: Pressley and Pressily. Pressley seems to have been the favourite back then. Also Edmund is used as a variant of Edward on one or two of the entries.
                  Last edited by KiteRunner; 03-11-08, 16:54.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

D'Oh - I see why I couldn't find John and Mary's marriage - it was in Warsop!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, and I guessed that Edward senior's father might possibly be called William as the first son of Edward I found was called William, so I had a quick look for Edward senior's baptism and didn't find it, but there was a William Pressley having children at about the right time. There were some other Presleys too, though.

Hmmm... doesn't look as if the IGI has much to help with this lot. My theory is that the first few children listed in my long post are your Edward senior's children, then the "Edward and Elizabeth" ones are children of Houmfrey's son, and then the last few are your Edward junior's children, but of course that's just guesswork!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you very much for all that information Kate, and thanks for the possible interpretation too. Its going to take me a while to digest that little lot

I do hope you haven't damaged you eyes on my behalf.

*scurries off to print thread out*
                        Barbara

Comment

Nah, like I said, I skipped past the pages that were too difficult to make out. But I did get one or two ideas about my tree while I was there...
                          KiteRunner

Comment

I do hope you got a few good leads for yourself as well
                            Barbara

Comment

It's quite a while since I looked through the Norton Cuckney records for my own tree so I kept seeing my family names and wondering whether I already had those entries or not! Funnily enough, the first time I went and looked my Hetts up in the Norton Cuckney PR's and BT's it was quite similar to the Presleys because my William Hett turned out to be a "junior", which I hadn't got from the online sources. Now, one of William's several wives is down as Rebecca Cham, and I noticed a few people called Chambers while I was looking through the records today and wondered whether my Rebecca was really a Chambers, but now looking on ancestry at those BIVRI records, there is a Rebecca Cham in Warsop! She's too early to be my Rebecca, but it does mean I shall have to go and look at the Warsop records, so I'll have a look at that marriage for you when I'm there.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

I checked the Warsop PR's and this is what the entry would have said (I had to reconstruct chunks of it because there was a big piece missing!)

Dec 24 John Presley of Cuckney Parish and Mary Cooper of this (Parish) the Banns being Three times (published) and certified by Mr Hartshorn (bit missing) were married by Mr Mand(evile Rector ibid)em.

Going back to Edward senior, there is a William PRESLEY/ Bettris PRESTON marriage listed in the Carlton in Lindrick PR's for 16th February 1640 and I couldn't see any children of that couple baptised at Carlton in Lindrick, so there's a chance they could be Edward's parents - if only we knew where Edward was born!
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks again Kate - that looks interesting too.
                                  Barbara

Comment

Working...
                                  X