Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista help please

Please speak very slowly if you reply.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what is important to tell you and what isn't, so you are going to have to suffer the full tale!

I have Vista on my laptop and have discovered a problem today which I don't know how to resolve.

A while back I created a folder on the Desktop for temporary storage of files. I called it "Misc Stuff". I haven't used it lately, but opening it on the desktop revealed:

1 tiff file
    4 JPEG image files
    1 Word Document
    1 Text Document (Notepad)

I decided to save some Ancestry census docs to the same folder. In Ancestry I clicked the save icon on the right as usual and then "Save to your Computer - OK". I then get a box to name the file and a pull down menu to select where to save it.

I named the file and clicked the pull down menu called Browse Folders. Under Desktop there was the folder called Misc Stuff so I clicked it. I noticed the items in it were only some of the items I had seen before when I opened the file on the desktop: Only the 4 JPEG files were showing (the same four). I went ahead and saved the file.

Trouble is, when I open the Folder on the desktop the census document isn't there! If I try to save another one, I can see the previous document in the list when I go to save the doc, but again it's not in the folder afterwards.

Doing a search for the document title gives no results.

If I look at the location for an item in the desktop folder it reads:

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\Misc stuff

If I do the same on one of the other docs when I'm in the middle of saving a census (ie in the "alternative" Misc Stuff folder) the location reads:

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\Misc stuff

which looks the same to me!

I'm very confused Where are my docs and how can I access them?

I have the same trouble Merry things I save just disappear on Vista , I believe somebody a while back said something about stuff going into your drive or something stupid
    Try going into start computer then the box that says Vista C other than that wait till somebody clever comes along.

Comment

I'm very sure I have saved stuff into this folder from Ancestry before, and the docs were there afterwards, and I was able to crop them and stuff and then move them to my desktop comp without any probs.

Comment

Hi Merry

These things in Vista get saved to a temp file. When you saved it it should have told you that and then asked you if you wanted to view it.

I say yes, and then drag the file to where I want it.

I will try to work out where that is

Be back in a mo

Comment

When you first save it to your computer and it ask you if you want to veiw it say yes

then you get this

Comment

Double click on the C

Then double click on users

then double click on (mine has my name)

Then double click on either desktop or documents, wherever you saved it to.

Then drag in into the file you want it

Comment

Ah, well I do get that box and when it says do you want to open erm, whatever it says, I usually say no, because I get so confused going through the different levels......Now you have given me the route to take......

Hmmmmmm.......back in a minute(s)

Comment

I dont like the way Vista works for things like this I find it so confusing.

Comment

Val

I found it confusing at first, but am now getting used to it.

It is simple once you get used to it.

Comment

There is an easier way to deal with this. Turn off "protected mode" in Internet Explorer 7. For more details, see this thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/compu...ost-files.html (post #4)
                    Last edited by Cloggie; 24-10-08, 20:27.
                    Sarah

Comment

its not simple enough for me and I'm not stupid LOL
                      I save things and then cannot find them so save them again and still cannot find them ?? its as if they vanish.

Comment

Cloggie thanks so much thats brilliant and its nice to know I'm not the only one losing files .

Comment

You're welcome. Can't take the credit though - I think Grimsqueaker came up with the solution originally.
                          Sarah

Comment

Oh, Eureka Margaret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did it! lolol

Thank you sooooooo much! What a bloomin' performance though! I wonder if there's another way? And how confusing having different places on the computer with the same name!

Maybe I can do some family history now?

My OH is pleased too, because he knows a fair amount but doesn't use Vista, so my usual font of all knowledge wasn't operational! lol

Thanks again

Cloggie....I have just seen your post........will have to ask OH to help me with that. Watch this space and someone tell my children to GO TO BED!!!

Comment

Cloggie

I can't see what you mean.

WHERE???

What icon?

Comment

Yes Merry it is infuriating.

I don't understand Cloggie's version, hopefully somone will explain further.

Comment

are you using IE7? At the bottom of the screen, on the right, above the taskbar, you should see a little globe next to "Internet | Protected Mode". Double-click on "Protected Mode" and you can turn it off (or on). To do so, once you double-click on "Protected Mode", it will open a little window in which you can untick the box next to "Enable Protected Mode".
                                  Last edited by Cloggie; 24-10-08, 20:38.
                                  Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                                    are you using IE7? At the bottom of the screen, on the right, above the taskbar. You should see a little globe next to "Internet | Protected Mode". Double-click on "Protected Mode" and you can turn it off (or on).

yes I am using IE7 but I haven't got that

Comment

This is what I have

(bottom right)

Comment

that's strange Margaret!

I've circled it as it appears on my screen:
                                        Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                        X